Thread: Lioness on a mission - 'Toned'

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lioness on a mission - 'Toned'

Attached Images Attached Images

Well, just another route in terms of 'toning' where you initially create a high-contrast B/W, but then at the end of the process you allow some colour back in. Again, perhaps another 'marmite' choice in toning, but primarily posted to offer further scope for those who want to experiment.

The original image is from this thread posted some time ago...
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...s-on-a-mission

Steve

Subject: Lioness (Panthera leo) stalking
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/7.1 ISO800 (see I can shoot at low ISO)
    Original format: Landscape, minimal crop, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, superb detail, great range of tones and subtle 'toned' colours. Those grasses balance the composition well and I like that focused look.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it, Steve. This "colour treatment" gives the lioness an interesting velvety appearance and a softer look and feel. (I wish I thought of this myself)

Lovely framing and detail is superb, the presence of the grasses add to the image. Good choice of DoF and techs in general.

You make me want to play more...I have forgotten to think out of the box lately.

Thank you so much for sharing,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I like this one a lot and have seen something akin to this treatment before but wasn't sure it would qualify as toned. I guess that's why you used 'Toned' instead! I like the 'colour' and tone in this one a great deal. The OOF grass in the bottom right adds a nice framing element for me. If it was mine, I'd be tempted to chop off some of the left so the head wasn't quite so centred in the frame. Those grass stems/heads on the left also draw my gaze and I'm not convinced they help here. Still a beautiful frame and a great interpretation of 'toned'. Look forward to more...

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Nice to see something a bit different. I keep toggling back and forth between the color and this. I think I prefer the color but this is still a very effective treatment. Lovely detail maintained and I like the tonal range as well. The top of the frame doesn't have as much interest for me and I would be tempted to try more of a pano with your favorite 16x9 coming down from the top only.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks

Hi Glenn, in my book 'toned' covers a whole raft of options & diversity and I think perhaps that is what Rachel was maybe thinking when she chose the theme? It might be hard for folk to try to explore with little knowledge on the array of options, however this is why I have tried to post a variety of directions and I'm sure both Rachel & Gabriela will also be adding other options into the mix for this months theme rather than the norm to inspire folk.

I would be tempted to try more of a pano with your favorite 16x9 coming down from the top only.
    Yep agree, I just kept the same crop as the OP, but applied a different technique to help bolster the options for this months theme.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ...very nice to see a different approach . Good that you show us a lot of options !!!! how to produce an image .
    Looks brilliant for me !!!
    No need to say something about the techs ...

I am with Rachel and would shave some of the top .

Great work Steve ...
    TFS Andreas