Thread: Gullfoss

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gullfoss

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's another of Iceland's most photographed waterfalls, this taken looking downstream instead of the more usual upstream shot. Thanks to Don's sharp-eyed observation on my previous post, I looked for evidence of barrel distortion in this one. It's hard to tell, at least for my untrained eye, but when I applied a moderate amount of distortion correction using the PS distortion filter, the result seemed to improve it. I tried several different shutter speeds and liked this the best of what I took, but I think one just slightly faster might have made the water a bit less foamy. I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

D7200, Nikon 18-70 @ 18mm, ISO 100, 1/2s @ f/16 manual, ND filter, Gitzo and Mongoose. Full-frame except for the crop due to distortion correction.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill

I like that you were searching for "not the usual shot.." and I don't see any distortion in this that is obvious. Your fix seems to be working I guess... The shutter i agree is a personal taste thing, It's close to what I like, maybe a touch slow but its your image... I like the leading line set up by the rift, maybe a little more in the FG would help in the future..Light is not ideal, so the muted colours are to be expected..

Don

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame love the mist at the top of the frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Don and John.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another lovely capture Bill and very nice to see that you are looking for scenes other than the iconic shot. The shutter speed works nicely here and you are right...it is a matter of personal taste...I often shoot my waterfall / river scenes at a few different shutter speeds and then decide, at the computer, which one I prefer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andrew.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good choice capturing this view of the falls. Great overcast light, and like that we see the river through the mist. Agree with Don re the FG.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, Very nice image and a joy to see an image from Iceland that hasn't been done a hundred times before. Not sure if your shooting Raw but if you are your can use the lens correction tab in ACR or lightroom to automatically adjust any distortion and other inherent optical issues your lens might have.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Don. I do shoot RAW but I don't use Lightroom. The PS distortion tool seems to work well.