Thread: An inquisitive old 'unit'

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default An inquisitive old 'unit'

Attached Images Attached Images

A previous image posted, but now 'toned' and converted for the theme.

Glenn this was made with three B/W images layered, masked and combined, then converted using mixed colours to provide the colour palette.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: Inquisitive young bull elephant
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 70-200f/2.8 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO1000
    Original format: Landscape, very slightly cropped
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

2. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the details on this one Steve. Just goes to show that our tastes differ from individual to individual. At least some of the toning in this one looks quite cool to me and I'm personally not a fan of that look. I'm assuming you've gone for a deliberate high key look on the grass and sky but they aren't working too well for me either. The tone you've achieve on the foreground elephant is great though as is the detail and clarity. I think the framing and composition works well also.

Interesting to see how we all see these conversions as there seems to be a much wider divergence of opinion than on colour shots. I guess more interpretation is involved in a converted toned image and that is the basis of such differences. Really informative.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

At least some of the toning in this one looks quite cool to me and I'm personally not a fan of that look.
    Hi Glenn, I deliberately wanted a 'toning' away from the 'standard' soft, pale, dark browns to be perhaps a bit more provoking and to stir some feedback, so thank you, otherwise we all follow the same path/approach with no real distinction between posts apart from content. This theme I guess is where people can experiment, and cast off those comfy slippers. Yes the colours are a mix of yellows, black & dark blues to be different and to say that folk should think beyond the safe renditions. Yes, I did push the FG grass to provide contrast here, as I feel any B/W requires a different thinking in terms of your 'greyscale' palette.

Thanks again.

Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - I remember the color version of this one and unfortunately, I still have the same issue with the other ele intersecting the ear/head of the main subject. Moving left, if able, might have given you some space between the two. As usual, you've brought out nice detail and textures on the ele. As previously discussed, the conversions and toning choices are a matter of personal preference and what ultimately matters is whether you like the result. I'm not loving the toning of the tree in the bg. I'm ok with the grass in the fg but would bring back/tone down the grasses through the horizontal middle of the frame a little. I would also get rid of the slight vignette in the upper corners.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As previously discussed, the conversions and toning choices are a matter of personal preference and what ultimately matters is whether you like the result.
    Hi Rachel, as I mentioned to Glenn, I knew it would be a 'marmite' choice, however the main/ultimate reason I chose this particular route was to get folk to 'think outside the box' and NOT just to go down one particular path in choosing the same colour or variants of hue/% of it . Otherwise all images will be the same and I fear the theme becomes stale in it's look.

I would also get rid of the slight vignette in the upper corners.
    No vignette applied.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Didn't say you applied the vignette but look at the upper right corner.

Cheers,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I find the tones interesting in particular the main subject. What a crying shame about the ele in the background.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

Without your influence over the past few years I would probably still add awful frames to my images, strong vignettes, and basically spoil with some reckless PP work a number of fairly decent shots With your help my eyes grew attuned to see colours (and colour casts) as well as pay attention to detail. I strive for originality and put a lot of effort into portraying things as faithfully as I can. But sometimes exaggerating things a little does help get a certain message across? This is IMO what toned images should do, colours are supposed to communicate different emotions, while at the same time one should still be able to see those scenes as versions of reality... right?

Your ellie image made me think of a number of old photographs displayed at the Centenary Centre of a nearby Big 5 Game Reserve. It has an "old-time" feel to it and I guess it was your intention to create such effect. I do not perceive this frame as "cool" but rather as "touched by time", this would be a scene you once witnessed, captured on camera and maybe thought "...I was here and saw this and it was special to me". We often speak of "tones" and "tonal range" on BPN, something that (to my mind) can vary from frame to frame, there is no ideal histogram as every scene is different, all depends on what the author wishes to convey. Love the simplicity here, if you did not mention it I would have never known it was made up of three images layered, my aesthetic sense simply says "I like this". Not because you taught me so many things but because it captures my imagination, and it truly feels like an authentic representation of an experience

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve i do also remember the color version ....
    I do like the overall IQ as most of the times ...this is no exception . Good conversion and the overall tone is how it should be , lovely detail in the hide of the elephant .
    The head on approach with the slightly curled trunk is working very well and adds interest ....as he seems to be interested in you
    Just wish the second elephant was a bit more separated .

In this case i am not too fuzzed about the blueish toning ...well not important as colors are subjective , and i know it is where you want the color to be

Lovely work ..in the digital darkroom .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- I liked the conversion and especially the details in your mighty looking subject. Subject is nicely popping against the pale grass .
    Like the colour version the Ele in the BKG is not ideal.

TFS !