Thread: Pectoral Sandpiper

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pectoral Sandpiper

Attached Images Attached Images

Spent a fantastic evening and morning on the East Pond of Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in Queens, NY with Arthur Morris. We were blessed with perfect light and tame birds. What we lacked in quantity we made up for in quality There are not too many people alive who have spent more time than me on that pond so it was a treat to spend time with someone who shares the same fondness for that place. This Pectoral Sandpiper was photographed in a special little corner of the pond where there are beautiful reflections from the blue skies, the green reeds and the warm sun.

Canon 1DX and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 640, F8, SS 1/32000. Kept the shutter speed high so I could capture some action as the birds busily fed very close to us.

Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 10-07-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A real beauty, Isaac. Beautiful light, great pose with raised foot, and nice to get him parallel to the sensor. Great background and your usual face-plant-in-the-swan-muck POV. Was this the evening session or the morning? From the background reflection I'd guess you're looking east in the PM, but I don't know the place like you do. How is the water level?

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You've nailed another beauty, Isaac. Sharp as a tac, and nice eye contact. Love the raised foot, and fine BG.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's almost always better when there is a raised foot for a shorebird image, and this one is no exception. Great low angle, nice colours. I do feel that the black area behind the legs could be toned down. Sounds like you had tons of fun!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill this was in the morning facing west. Water levels are good on the south end. North end as well but it is still mucky up there.

Dan I thought of messing with the dark area but I am pretty sure it is the shadow of the bird so I decided to leave it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful light, great pose and wonderful environment Isaac. Background is great and that raised leg sets this off nicely. Maybe it's just me but the frame 'feels' like it's tilted down to the left ever so slightly. Oh, and fabulous detail, tone and colour on the bird. Thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the low angle and beautiful light, Clean Background.

This is one place which I should go next year.

Thank you for the Shot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love it! Good points are mentioned above and I can't find any bad one. Super work!