Thread: Brolga portrait (C)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brolga portrait (C)

Name:  IMG_9145-BPN.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  391.3 KB
    One of two crane species found in Australia. This bird was photographed in Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve which is a 30 minute drive west of my home in Canberra. The species is now locally extinct but does occur down much of the east coast of Australia. This bird and its partner are in a low fenced enclosure with their own pond. The birds would be free to fly but have had their wing primaries clipped - probably as much for their own safety as they'd be unlikely to survive outside the secured area which has a high electric fence enclosing quite a few hectares of bush). This part of the reserve is kept free of feral pests (cats, dogs, foxes). I've taken a little off the top of the frame and a bit off the right but added canvas to the left.

Thanks for taking a look and I greatly appreciate any comments you may have.

Capture details: Canon 80D with EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM at 400mm handheld. Manual exposure 1/320 sec, f8, ISO 1000. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, sharpness = 3, crop, lighting adjustments, default NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements with Neat Image NR plugin. Very light NR applied to bird and stronger NR to background. Sharpened in PSE (Sharpness tool, remove Gaussian blur) after final size reduction.

2. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird, nicely shown. Lovely color palette, bird and background. Tack sharp, exposure spot on. The red feathers are very similar to those found on the Sandhill Crane found here. Thank you for sharing, Glenn.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

4. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific detail, with the bill (almost) parallel to the focal plane. Nice comp and complimentary background.

6. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post