Thread: Juvenile Stag

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile Stag

Name:  Juvie-stag---toned-.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  373.7 KB

I've never had a go at toning in PS before, but you gotta try new things sometime!

A juvenile Red Deer Stag from last years rut, wandering around looking a little lost as he wasn't important enough to get involved with the big boys just yet!

Canon 1dx
    500mm f4is
    ISO 1600
    1/1250th f4

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For a first go at toning, this is pretty darn good, Mike. I can see the competition for the theme this month is going to be stiff. I like the spotlight effect/'pop' of the stag and the framing by the foreground vegetation and overhead dark branches is really lovely. Only minor thing I'd do is tone down the highlights on the stag just a triffle but a minor issue. Overall, a very nice frame.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike - This works quite well for me and is an impressive first effort for toning. Nice light hitting the stag with good detail and sharpness. Choice of toning is purely a matter of personal preference. Glad to see you experimenting for the theme.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike...This is beautiful

Superb pose from the subject and I just love the detail. Eye contact and head angle make this image for me... Great timing and nice techs too. Well processed, I like your "colour treatment" here.
    One small nit: I would really, really like 1 cm more below There is enough space for the virtual feet I think, but I feel the need for better "proportion", so to speak. For balance, in other words. Too much on top and too little at the bottom, maybe try crop from the top a bit, see if it works?

I truly enjoyed viewing, this month's Theme seems to bring the best in everyone!

Wishing you a lovely week-end,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine shot here Mike. The conversion is nice and the composition is good but agree a bit can be taken off from top. More room below would have been nicer & wish the feet were seen but no big deal.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A sweet capture Mile, although a little top heavy for me, would have liked more below irrespective of the OOF vegetation. To me ISO 3200, gained some more SS and DoF easily.

Bradgate I assume???

TFS
    Steve