Thread: Just Launched - Kathy Cubert

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Just Launched - Kathy Cubert

Shot taken 9/29 at around 11 a.m. (which I know is usually not during the best light but I couldn't help myself) F8, 1/2000, 560mm, ISO 1600 EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 IS II USM with a 1.4 III Canon teleconverter. Manual with autofocus. I'm limited to 5 point center focus with my set up. I typically get out to photograph birds every weekend which has seriously cut into time for friends and family. I had been trying to find this osprey and saw him launch off a tree and then go fishing. While he was fairly distant, man was that a sight to see! The fishing photos did not come out as hoped but this one of the launch off the tree I really liked. I struggle with how best to reduce noise in my photos and also how to get the sharpness up to speed in the best possible way. I have not switched to DPP yet to process my pics - using Lightroom the majority of the time with Nik to reduce noise.
    Name:  Osprey BPN-4.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  353.0 KB
    Last edited by Kathy Cubert; 10-06-2017 at 12:56 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting frame, Kathy. The pose is a little unorthodox as it's usually better to have the bird flying across the frame or towards you. The tones and colour under the bird look good although I'd be tempted to tone down the highlight on the leg and maybe breast just a touch. Generally, I think you've handled the lighting conditions well. Image is slightly soft but not badly so. I think there may be some motion blur here too. Not sure how much you've cropped this but it will suffer if there's much cropping with that lens plus teleconverter (I think you are using this on a 5Ds??). Do you have sharpening turned on when you export from Lightroom? If not, that will also make your images a bit soft too. Noise isn't obvious to me in this frame so seems you've dealt with it effectively. Might be good to post a few more details with your shots so some more directed advice can be provided. Persistence pays off and learning your subject's behaviour is a big plus also to getting the bird just the way you want it in the frame. Thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations on getting the bird you've been after. I agree with Glenn's comments: flight position, possible motion blur, highlights. Noise doesn't seem to be a problem to my eye. Keep trying (family and friends permitting, of course) and hopefully you'll get him flying back to the perch.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kathy,

What camera body? The light is not bad at all. It was the wind that was your enemy as it caused the bird to take flight away from you ... I use DPP 4 to convert all of my RAW files and have loved it for years. And I find NeatImage amazing for NR. Learn more in the DPP 4 RAW Conversion guide here and in the Post Processing Guide here. Both by yours truly and Avian Mod Arash Hazeghi.

with love, artie

ps: you can learn a ton on my blog most every day :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I had not considered the pose an unusual one, so appreciate your perspective on that along with the thoughts on toning down some of the highlights. I did not realize the image seemed soft - so perhaps I was too emotionally attached to the scene to fully take everything into account, but at what % do you typically use to view? I will try a higher one on future pics. I did crop in quite a bit. It was a 5DSR camera that I used - I will be sure to add more info on the next go round. I did use screen sharpening when I exported at high, but no other sharpening was used. I'll get the books out (or computer) and start studying behavior more to get better positioning for future photos! They are majestic birds and I thoroughly enjoy capturing them in action. Appreciate the help on so many levels!

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think if the family and friends really care they will ultimately accept and understand me as I am. :) I'll be going back to try again until they migrate. I'm hopeful they will stick around for awhile.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good Evening Mr. Morris,

I use a Canon 5DSR for almost all of my photography and have really enjoyed having it in my arsenal. My struggle with this camera and the lens I have (100-400mm F4.5-5.6 II) is that I am locked in no lower than F8 with center point focus and the camera does not do well at the higher ISO's I find I often need to use when I try to keep information in the far right of the histogram without blowing out highlights. I am grateful for your comments and it was timely as I just purchased your updated Digital Workflow ebook earlier today before I saw your note. I'll also be following your blog closely to learn more quickly as I know I want to excel in this genre. I have not purchased the DPP 4 Raw Conversion guide yet but will check into that more fully as well. Being out and continuing to try for great shots is when I am really the happiest, but I've felt like I have been hitting a wall as far as skill and technique.