Thread: Female Wallaroo

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Female Wallaroo

Attached Images Attached Images

A Wallaroo as the name implies is partway in appearance between a Wallaby (smaller) and a Kangaroo (larger). They are generally stocky as befits their mostly rugged habitat. Females are gray and males are near black.
    1DXII 70-200mm f/2.8L II & 2xIII 342mm 1/320 f6.3 iso800
    Cropped, some distracting highlights cleaned up, slight sharpen in CCPS2017

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Colin, nice to have some Aussie content on this forum. You've got a nice cute pose of the animals with great-looking light on them. I like those dark front paws. Looks like you were quite close here although not clear how much you have cropped. If the crop wasn't too hard, I'd be tempted to try this with a portrait crop to make it a tighter shot of just the animals as the background doesn't add a lot to this for me. Thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin agree with Glenn , great to see something different from your continent . Not much present here in BPN .
    I like the pose and that the youngster is looking out of that bag ....quite curious .
    Comp works well , just think colors are looking bit off . Is that white stuff on the ground white sand or a slight snow cover ? Or was it a frosty morning ?
    At what location did take the image ?
    You have some artifacts in the BG ?

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, Australian colors often confuse those not accustomed to them! The white stuff is sand in quite dry grass as there had been a long period without rain. The image was taken at Stanthorpe in the state of Queensland. http://tinyurl.com/yda4h89z The 'artifacts' are the lens/2x converter combo bokeh on bright spots. Oh and the 'bag' is a pouch Thanks for commenting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Glenn, if you look at the fur pattern near the paws you can see she has been just scratching her tummy. With the long tail a portrait crop would end up too square for my liking. I was probably 40 meters away so not too much of a crop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin ...the colors maybe typical Aussie style , but bet the whitish fur is not blue /cyan in the Wallaroo. BTW what species is this ?
    Been down to your country ....for over ten months , many moons ago

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Actually there is a subtle blue in the fur and what you see in the pic is pretty much how they look. This occurs in other macropods, for example the female desert Red Kangaroo (Macropus rufus) is gray/blue and has been colloquially referred to for the last 100 years or so as the Blue Flyer due to their color and outstanding speed. The Wallaroo is Macropus robustus.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Colin much appreciate the additional info

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin - I agree with the others. Great to see some diversity and an animal from Down Under. Love the way the youngster is peeking out from the pouch. I also noticed the blue so thanks for the explanation about the fur but there is also some coming through in the grass. Did you shoot any portrait format?

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Collin,

Always exciting to see a species one does not often encounter on this forum, thank you for this!

Love the pose from both mother and baby, nice eye contact, and I notice with delight the little paw of the little one sticking out of the pouch - looks as if he is about to jump out

Composition works well. I won't comment on colours as I am not familiar with either the species or the environment. IQ could be better IMO, a little more shutter speed would have made a difference. And I would try soften the bright vegetation in the background, a bit distracting.

Really nice to see you posting in this Forum, hope you come back with more. And I really enjoyed seeing those Wallaroos, much appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea