Thread: Bison calves Yellowstone

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bison calves Yellowstone

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held, Canon 1DX Canon 100-400 L IS II ISO 3200 + 0.67, 1/1600 sec f6.7

The biggest problem as you might guess is trying to get a not too intrusive/complicated background. I have patched healed cloned some telegraph poles and lines and a couple of blades of grass. I also increased the saturation of the greens in the foreground. I have applied a little more sharpening than usual.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Jon, colours look really good and I like the balance between the rich darks and the pale pastels. Unlike Rachel's image I feel you were a bit closer, more 30-40ft so perhaps f7.1 or f/8 f closer. I think you balanced the truncated subjects on the side well. Personally I think you are just on the edge sharpening wise, but again, this is 'perceptual' sharpening. Just watch the eyes, especially if you have lightened them, they do stand out I feel.

Perhaps clone in some more trees in the light patch to the RHS of the yellow on the upper RHS????

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve reducing yellow up top - good idea. I haven't done anything to the eyes.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve reducing yellow up top - good idea.
    No not reduce, I'll email you...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It’s ok I know you replace with trees

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely frame, Jon. That contrast between the dry grass and the dark beasts really sets this off. Interaction between the two animals adds to this nicely and I like the OOF animals in the background. I think the OOF mountain in the background is not ideal and Steve has made some suggestions to make it less obvious. You could also go for a more pano crop and lose to top of it. That might work. BTW, I think I can see where the telegraph lines have been cloned out so you might want to tidy that up a bit more (eg, just above the middle of the back of the left animal). Not sure why you wanted more green in the foreground. I'd have preferred this more neutral like the rest of the grass but a matter of taste, I'm sure. Overall, a really nice frame still.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Yes, those telephone poles at YNP can be a pain. I remember trying to shoot so as to avoid them in Hayden Valley. Lovely low pow and I like that it's the moment before the 2 youngsters clash. The image tells a story because you certainly know what they are about to do. Nice tones in the browns. The bare mountain doesn't bother me. Not sure why the green in the fg. It looks a little strong at the feet of the bison on the right. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan -- A very nice scene and you have captured it very well all the beautiful scenery in the back drop with the action happening in the FG. Nice soft colours and details are looking good to me as well . A very fine image .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jon this is a lovely frame ....i like all about it .
    Nicely separated youngsters and i am with Rachel that it tells a story ....well timed shot. Coat of the bisons does look very good and you have all the detail presented ...nice PP work for my liking.
    Overall a fine image well presented .
    Just as an option i would try to add a bit of gamma through the red channel ( 0,95 and opacity to taste ) , might give some more richness to the overall scene .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much everyone glad you liked it.
    I tried the Gamma Andreas - good idea it tames the pale straw coloured grasses and enriches fur a little.