Thread: Whitetail Buck

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Whitetail Buck

Attached Images Attached Images

Whitetail buck portrait about half hour before sunset. Wish the buck gave more of head turn to get some more light on his face. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Hand held. Full Frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    531mm
    ISO 4000
    f6.3
    1/200sec

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - Nice profile of the young buck. It has the same issue as the last one though with it looking a bit flat. I would crop from the bottom to eliminate the piece of leg so that the chest is along the bottom edge.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi John, I think this is where you miss not having PSCC coupled with LR, as much as I love LR and use it, there are some aspects that you cannot achieve in LR.

The techs still worry me on SS & HH, but nothing sadly much more I can do on that, is it because of the time of day that the SS is so low, although you are getting better on ISO??? Also, although I don't know the lens I did have a conversation yesterday about Sigma lenses with anther BPN person and I would look at shoot at the full focal length i.e. 600 so you are less close, but have a fraction more on the result, zooms IMHO work better at there extremes.

I wouldn't say the image looks flat as there are tones of richness, more thin, so it needs more 'depth' and so using Curves, Blends or tweaking colours will bolster this. You have clipped the Highlights on the Histogram, a simple fix, however I would serious look at joining the Adobe CC and for a monthly fee I feel it is an affordable item that will help push your images to where they need to go, as LR is just holding you back a little.

This is using some Curves adjustments and tweaking the colours, see the rack, it has more depth, BTW like the eye and come in a fraction on the RHS, it needs the partial leg.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, I do have Photoshop i think thats what you mean by PSCC. I don't really know how to use it very well. Mainly just focus stacking and some cloning work.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hanks Steve, I do have Photoshop i think thats what you mean by PSCC.
    Correct.

I don't really know how to use it very well.
    A small letter to Santa might be in order then, as there are some good books out there. You can then have a Workflow of LR > Edit in PSCC > Save back to LR and then > Export. It's that simple and keeps everything neat & tidy and all under one roof . If you are part of Adobe CC then you will have all the latest software updates too.

7. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post