Thread: What is it? Three images ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default What is it? Three images ...

Attached Images Attached Images

From Fort DeSoto last week.

See the blog post here for gear and exposure info. Best to try to figure out the bird before looking at the blog post. It was well smaller than a Great Egret and did not exhibit any drunken sailor fishing behavior ...

with love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 10-03-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Head and shoulders portrait from below.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tight head portrait.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Artie, here is a image I captured at Circle B Bar Reserve in 2015. With your help putting me in contact with those in the know it was identified as a cross between a Snowy Egret and a Tri-colored Heron. Like yours at Ft. De Soto it was smaller that a Great Egret and a Great Blue Heron, actually about the size of a Snowy and Tri-colored. Interesting world...
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like an immature Little Blue heron… I would bet on it.

-Tim

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Foltz View Post
    Looks like an immature Little Blue heron… I would bet on it.

-Tim
    Hi Tim, the immature Little Blue Heron colors are similar but the bill, lore, legs, and feet are different. Also the bird in my image was mature, I think the bird in Artie's image is also mature. These are definitely hybrids, if I had not photographed it and then had experts identify it as a hybrid I would not have believed it possible.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Tim, the immature Little Blue Heron colors are similar but the bill, lore, legs, and feet are different. Also the bird in my image was mature, I think the bird in Artie's image is also mature. These are definitely hybrids, if I had not photographed it and then had experts identify it as a hybrid I would not have believed it possible.
    Thanks Joe, I would have lost that one, sure looks like the immatures I've seen here in So. CA.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty pictures Artie. I'd bet the farm that your bird is a Wurdermann's Heron. A cross between the color morphs of Great Blue. So one parent was a white morph and one was a regular Great Blue. They are highly variable. And things get crazy when one of those offspring mate with say another white morph. You get these crazy looking birds.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, beautiful and interesting bird, nice find, nice angle and details.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My guess, Tri-colored Heron Snowy Egret Hybrid.

edit, oooops I was looking at the bird on the post, never mind :p

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

No idea whatsoever but all excellent shots.
    Is that a dust bunny centre right approximately chin height in pane 1?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    No idea whatsoever but all excellent shots.
    Is that a dust bunny centre right approximately chin height in pane 1?
    Thanks Jon. I spotted that and then forgot about it :(

I have replaced the original post. With love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great thread Artie. There is always something new to learn here. This really is an attractive bird. I love the head shot in pane # 3.
    Robert Kimbrell

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Artie, what is it, is Isaac correct he seems to have great bird ID knowledge

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Pretty pictures Artie. I'd bet the farm that your bird is a Wurdermann's Heron. A cross between the color morphs of Great Blue. So one parent was a white morph and one was a regular Great Blue. They are highly variable. And things get crazy when one of those offspring mate with say another white morph. You get these crazy looking birds.
    Hi Isaac, We should have talked about this bird at the diner. I did think of Wurdermann's Heron but the bill seems to slight and the bird was smaller than a Great Egret ...

With love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Conlan View Post
    Great shot Artie, what is it, is Isaac correct he seems to have great bird ID knowledge.
    Don't know but do not think so as the bird is way too small. I have tried to contact lots of smart folks but only one responded and she was way off. I will revisit if I find out more.

with love, artie