Thread: Cormorant Bathing

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cormorant Bathing

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,

A cormorant splashing about from from the Farne Islands, taken a bit before noon off the side of the boat. In post raised exposure and shadows slightly, and cropped about 15/20% off, NR on BG and sharpened.

Camera: Nikon D500
    Lens: 200-500mm f/5.6 at 340mm
    Specs: 1/3200 ISO 1100 f/6.3

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
    Alex

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Alex; I like the action that you captured here with this one. I like the green of the eye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice on the splashing and sharp. Are those rocks on the shore in the upper BKGR? I would definitely lose the largest white over-exposed splash upper right. Me thinks that this is a Shag.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks both, much appreciated. Artie, yep, rocks along one of the cliff walls (I forget the exact spot but it was on part of the boat tour between Inner and Staples). Good catch on that upper bit -- I'll remove that. I thought the green eye indicated cormorant but upon a further google search it does look like a shag as it doesn't have the white portion on the chin -- thanks as well for that! I remember someone explaining the difference between the two when I was in the UK but it didn't really stick.

Thanks again both,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the sense of movement in this image.
    I would remove the very bright white specular highlight in RUC. It caught my eye immediately when I opened the thumbnail.
    Exposure is spot on and you have captured lots of details in the blacks.
    I like your crop but could see a version with the rock wall cropped out ( and bright specular highlight) and a bit more on the bottom
    I like it,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    I like your crop but could see a version with the rock wall cropped out ( and bright specular highlight) and a bit more on the bottom.Gail
    Great suggested crop as that would kill two birds with one stone.

with love, arite
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex, well exposed on this dark character, and I too like the bathing behaviour with the outspread wings and flying droplets. Gail's crop suggestion rocks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured Alex and very nice feather detail you got. The colours on the Shag are spot on and i love the bathing pose with the splashing water. Well done.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again all, I really appreciate folks taking the time to comment. Great crop suggestion Gail, I think I'll go with that one as, as Artie said, it takes care of two problems in one. Best, A