Thread: Sanderling

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sanderling

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello I'm new here, this sanderling was shot at 500mm f5 1/500 iso 800 on a 7d mark II. thanks for your time!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot and welcome Nickolas. The sanderling looks a tad large in the frame to me, details and exposure look good. The image would look better and make for easier critique if it was posted at up to 1200px max width, and up to max height 1000 px, the crop ratio is of your choosing, i.e. it is not fixed, the dimensions are purely the max size.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nickolas, welcome to BPN - its a great place to learn.

A nice first shot, but as Jon says above, it could really do with being posted 1200px wide so we can get a good look at it.

I, along with several other here, am a big fan of low level shots like this, can beat a bit of belly crawling! I would prefer there to be more space around the bird if you have it.

Looks like there is lots of nice detail in the shot, hope to see more from you

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the advice I'm having trouble with sizing the image if do 1200 the file size is too big here it is at 800 at the widest side. Attachment 171763

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its a little difficult when I don't know what software you're using, but when you do your final export it should be 1200px on the horizontal with a maximum file size of 400kb. You might need to reduce the slider that controls the file size.

Hope that helps

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN Nickolas. I agree with Mike and Jon re the bird needing more room to 'breathe' within the frame. But, you have captured some nice detail here. Nice pose on the bird and HA. I would leave some more on the bottom, as the feet are too close to the edge of the frame. Lovely colours throughout. Hope to see some more soon.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nikolas, Welcome to BPN and thanks for your membership support. Do you use Photoshop?

The good news about your image is that it is sharp with a good EXP. Here is a general guideline: if you are photographing a whole bird, the bird should never take up more than 75% of the longest dimension of the frame and in many cases, 50% or less of the longest dimension is much better.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone I will try to re-crop this image a little less tight. I use photoshop to export, I would also appreciate any advice on the best dimension and file size etc. for this site. Thanks again for the warm welcome here!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nickolas thurston View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone I will try to re-crop this image a little less tight. I use photoshop to export, I would also appreciate any advice on the best dimension and file size etc. for this site. Thanks again for the warm welcome here!
    Hi Nickolas, Start with your optimized TIF file. Crop it to 1200 pixels wide. Then sharpens it using Unsharp Mask at 120/.3.0. Then choose File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy). From the drop-down menu in the upper right corner select Optimize to File Size. Type 395 into the Desired File Size box and hit OK. Then hit Save, select your web images folder, and hit Save.

Good luck and lmk if you have any questions.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.