Thread: Female Dusky Grouse

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Female Dusky Grouse

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi All,

This image was taken last week in Colorado. I visited Maroon Lake to photograph fall colors early morning. Due to logistic issues I could not reach there early morning to photograph sunrise. So I decided to do some trekking from Maroon lake to Carter Lake. While I was trekking I saw this female dusk grouse walking towards us. I was flat on the ground and took this image before it got scared of other folks who were coming behind me.

Nikon D500, 300mm f/4
    ISO 640, f/7.1, 1/200 sec

My Camera was having setting which were used to do landscape earlier with bracketing on and forgot to change them, but was overall happy to get this image.

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Thanks for watching.

Thanks
    Krishna

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is such a cool image. Man must have been great to be so close to this lovely lady. Still need to see this species. Maybe someday... Detail is excellent and the head is nice and sharp. I would add some canvas on the top as it is a bit tight and also apply a little clockwise rotation. Easy fixes for a really nice image of this bird.

3. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    This is such a cool image. Man must have been great to be so close to this lovely lady. Still need to see this species. Maybe someday... Detail is excellent and the head is nice and sharp. I would add some canvas on the top as it is a bit tight and also apply a little clockwise rotation. Easy fixes for a really nice image of this bird.

Thank you for the feedback. This was more or less straight out of camera with Noise reduction. I always forget about alignment (rotation) Thanks for them. I will correct it adding a bit more canvas at the top.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is my second sighting. I was a bit lucky.
    Both in Colorado while trekking. One in Rocky Mountains and another in Aspen Areas.
    Hope you find them soon.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I remember. Don't you remember you told me over the phone that you had them hiking at Barr Lake . I recently was in Washington. Apparently there is one female bird in the south eastern part of the state that hangs around a lodge and is extremely reliable. Next time I am there I will try for that bird. My wifes sister is there so should be there at least once in the next 6 months or so. Finally got Sooty Grouse when we were there. Still need most of the rest of the grouse from CO. Only got the Greater Sage.

7. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Female Dusky Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    I remember. Don't you remember you told me over the phone that you had them hiking at Barr Lake . I recently was in Washington. Apparently there is one female bird in the south eastern part of the state that hangs around a lodge and is extremely reliable. Next time I am there I will try for that bird. My wifes sister is there so should be there at least once in the next 6 months or so. Finally got Sooty Grouse when we were there. Still need most of the rest of the grouse from CO. Only got the Greater Sage.
    Nice you got a chance to see them. I only saw female dusk so far. I will plan to go to Colorado for Lek sometime.

Will need details from you regarding best paces to photograph lekking for grouses in Colorado
    Last edited by Krishna Prasad kotti; 09-30-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A stunningly good detail shot Krishna. I'm partial to these close detail shots myself but haven't found such a striking subject as you have. I think you could play with a framing and composition a little here but not sure what to suggest as it works fairly well for me now. The IQ, tone and colour is brilliant. As ground birds, I imagine they are normally very wary of people so you've done very well to get this, I think.

10. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A wonderful shot Krishna.The way the crystal clarity of the face and eye fades into increasing blur as the eye passes back over the bird is outstanding.The OOF tip of the beak and back of the head shows what a narrow DOF you were working with.

12. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work Krishna, a very impactive shot. Personally I quite like the fall off i the DoF towards the end of the beak, suits the shot. A higher shutter speed wouldn't have hurt but on this occasion it looks like you got enough sharpness where it matters

Mike

14. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The eye position in the frame really makes this pop out at you, well done. Dramatic capture

16. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post