Thread: Same Dunlin, a Different View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Same Dunlin, a Different View

Attached Images Attached Images

This is the same bird that Geoffrey posted a handsome image of the other day. I was too close to the bird and clipped his legs when he ran in front of me, not being quick enough to zoom out and recompose. I had remarked on Geoffrey's post that I thought it was a 1st winter bird, since Dunlins normally begin their molt before leaving the northern breeding grounds. I had expected that a juvenile would still exhibit some black on the belly, and more streaking on the breast as illustrated by Sibley, who says that juveniles are "rarely seen south of breeding grounds". Artie graciously corrected me and said it was "pretty much a worn juvenile", and when I did an online search sure enough I found a number of images labeled "juvenile" that did look a lot like this one. Maybe it's just semantics (or maybe he's a Curlew Sandpiper ), but if indeed he is rarely seen in this plumage in our area, I figured it was worth posting him again, with this somewhat unconventional crop to illustrate his plumage.

D500, Sigma 150-600 @ 450mm, ISO 1600, 1/2500s @ f/7.1 manual, HH.

2. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Grand closeup/portrait of our now well researched Dunlin. Good you kept your finger on the shutter release even as he approached as close as he did. Nice detail and like the curled up feathers from the flanks. Excellent BG.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu
    Last edited by Geoffrey Montagu; 09-27-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another nice one Bill. My understanding is that some juvie Dunlins have extensive black smudging on the bellies and some don't. And then there is the matter of feather wear. The black on your bird might have been much more extensive two to three weeks ago. As for internet photos, don't believe everything that you read :)

Do you have a bit more behind the bird in the original frame?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: if you look closely on the upper back just behind the neck I think that the very few, very small, all-gray feathers are indeed first-winter molt.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, thanks for the additional information. I still have a lot to learn, especially when it comes to peeps. You're right about internet searches. When I do a search for a specific species, it's amazing how many random, mis-identified birds pop up.

Here's the whole Dunlin, sans legs.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps. Here's another Dunlin for comparison. Taken at 10:00 pm one evening in mid-July on Flatey Island, Iceland. Not as sharply detailed as the other, but maybe a useful comparison. I believe this may also be a juvie, but I'm certainly not sure.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, perfect eye level capture, and just love the colours on this fellow. The colour of the BG compliments the bird nicely.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, The bird in Pane 6 is an adult; note the worn but rusty medium coverts. Also, the bird in Pane #6 with its tiny bill is surely a male. The many races of Dunlin worldwide exhibit tremendous variation in coloration, size, and structure.

with love, arite

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Artie, thanks for the additional information. I still have a lot to learn, especially when it comes to peeps. You're right about internet searches. When I do a search for a specific species, it's amazing how many random, mis-identified birds pop up.

Thanks for the full frame. The clipped rear leg in Pane #1 really bugged me. Such crops, however, including mine, often result in still awkward compositions in cases like this. On super important point is that the bird's face in the original post is quite dark, in part because you exposed properly for the WHITEs, and in part, because of the seemingly perfect head angle -- with the head square to the back of the camera -- the bird's head is actually turned a bit away from the (yes, soft) light. That is why I generally prefer the bird's head turned one or two degrees towards us ... I address the too-dark face problem in the repost.

with love, artie

ps: See more on the dark-face problems in my Diving Blue-footed Booby #1 blog post here.

pps: I extended each leg just a bit ...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. I didn't mean to suggest that it was a juvie. I figured it was probably an adult, in his breeding territory. I noticed the large difference in bill size, but didn't realize it signified male.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the full frame. The clipped rear leg in Pane #1 really bugged me. Such crops, however, including mine, often result in still awkward compositions in cases like this. On super important point is that the bird's face in the original post is quite dark, in part because you exposed properly for the WHITEs, and in part, because of the seemingly perfect head angle -- with the head square to the back of the camera -- the bird's head is actually turned a bit away from the (yes, soft) light. That is why I generally prefer the bird's head turned one or two degrees towards us ... I address the too-dark face problem in the repost.

with love, artie

ps: See more on the dark-face problems in my Diving Blue-footed Booby #1 blog post here.

pps: I extended each leg just a bit ...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A definite improvement. Thank you again.

14. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. I didn't mean to suggest that it was a juvie. I figured it was probably an adult, in his breeding territory. I noticed the large difference in bill size, but didn't realize it signified male.
    In general, male shorebirds have shorter bills than females. The bill lengths vary among individuals of the same sex. That is what makes it so much fun to see a female long-billed dow on the long end of the bill length scale ...