Thread: Great Egret looking down at sunrise

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Egret looking down at sunrise

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on yesterday morning's In-the-Field Meet-Up session at Fort DeSoto with the the hand held Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 2X III, and my favorite bird photography camera body, the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. ISO 200. Evaluative metering -3 2/3 stop (not a typo): 1/8000 sec. at f/11. WB= K7500. Manual focus.

Learn more about photographing into blasting highlights in the Blasting Sunrise Highlights: Why hand hold and focus manually at 1000mm? blog post here.

As for the image, don't be shy: all comments are welcome.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image Artie. Love the colors and the silhouette of the bird. That background is so nice. The only thing that I wish is that we could see the bottom of those chest plumes and that they were not cut off.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Beautiful image Artie. Love the colors and the silhouette of the bird. That background is so nice. The only thing that I wish is that we could see the bottom of those chest plumes and that they were not cut off.
    Thanks Isaac. Just clipped :( I need to do more weight-lifting :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice looking image with fantastic lighting behind the bird, which in turn shows the silhouette at its best.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool frame Arthur. I agree a bit more room on the bottom would be nice but no problem at the end of the day. Love the BG ranging from dark red to very bright yellow. It all works for me. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Becker View Post
    Very cool frame Arthur. I agree a bit more room on the bottom would be nice but no problem at the end of the day. Love the BG ranging from dark red to very bright yellow. It all works for me. TFS
    Thanks Alex (and Will). Also ranging to totally blown WHITEs right behind the bird's head -- but they work great in this case.

with love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mmmm, nice one. The standout for me, besides the artful framing and placement of the bird, are the many circles in the background ranging in colour from burnt orange to bright yellow. Guessing they are point reflections on water. But they really make this one for me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Glenn. I call them blasting highlights, the very strong backlight of a full strength sun hitting the water. See more on the blog post, and learn the basics in The Art of Bird Photography II (ABP II --916 pages on CD or via download). with love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 09-28-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, silhouettes always work well against a colourful BG, and you certainly nailed that here. I like the pose of the Egret, and overall, lots of curved lines around the Egret to look at.

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post