Thread: Green Heron In A Bit Of A Predicament....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Green Heron In A Bit Of A Predicament....

Attached Images Attached Images

Just when I thought I was done sharing images of this tame Green Heron it comes up with this situation. It had a hard time trying to figure out what to do, tried a few different things, dropped the fish, dunked it in water, turned it around, flipped it over, attempted a few times to gulp it down before stopping for a breather...nothing seemed to work. But it did not give up, and eventually did take it all in!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/160s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, just about FF, some clean up of the BG (plus some NR there), darkened the highlights on the sunfish.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think that's the bird equivalent of 'biting off more than you can chew' and I had to laugh looking at this. Impressive that it did manage to swallow this in the end. To the specifics, detail, tone, colours and processing are all excellent, as usual! Background and foreground work well too but I wondered if a tighter crop would work better as that missing bit from the very back end of the bird is a little odd to me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing capture, well done. Maybe tone down the reddish spot on the left

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another shot to marvel at, not just for the timing and the ow POV, but how you consistently get such sharp results at such low shutter speeds. Maybe the colours look a little saturated on this one, I'll see what others think - could be my frazzled eyes!

Its been a great sequence from this bird, TFS

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Greedy little fella, ain't he? I'm always impressed how sharp you get your images even at low shutter speeds.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, good eye contact here, and yes, I'm amazed how some of these guys manage to swallow the size of their catch. I've never seen anyone choke yet.