Thread: Pier Cafe San Diego

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pier Cafe San Diego

Shot at blue hour, tripod mounted, San Diego Bay. 5DMIV, 24-70 f/2.8L II, f/13, 42mm, ISO 100, 91 seconds.
    Name:  36459087424_5aedbd4c5b_b.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  159.4 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Roger.

Very nice idea with good subject and location. This is a difficult shot to if you want detail inside the Cafe (as well as out) if all done in a single exposure. The Dynamic range is large... I am guessing this is a single exposure because the building exterior especially looks as if it has been lifted and the tones look a little muted to me. This look maybe your intent however... I would tackle a shot like this my compositing two shots, one exposed for the inside of the Cafe, and another for the outside... I think what you have could be improved slightly by a little more cropping, a slither of the LHS to remove the very bright light and its reflection (I find it distracting) and I would remove about half of the Fg to put move focus on your subject, but a more defined reflection would suit the current crop, in my opinion anyway... Finally it could do with a little more sharpening i think. These are all my opinions of course, I have included a cropped and sharpened version to explain what i was thinking...

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, many many thanks for the thoughtful reply, the suggested edits and the example image. This is tremendously helpful. Yes, this was a single image, still learning about post production options for combining exposures. I was hoping for, and I think generally realized, that look of warm, inviting interior for the diners glowing out on the early evening scene. But yes, bringing down the highlights and cropping out distracting elements makes a ton of sense. I'm going back to the RAW and seeing if I can tighten it up. The sharping alone on your example made a big difference in the image. Thanks again! Roger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice photo. I like the silky smooth water. HDR is a good option when shooting scenes like this. Don's advice is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Roger... A second look shows I have pushed the sharpening a little to much... most obvious in your name.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don's repost and suggestions are excellent. The brightest highlights are, however, a bit problematic ... Especially the interior lights and the stuff just to the left of the building.

How's the food?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie. I didn't repost but I did re edit with Don's suggestions and much happier with the sharpened image and reduced highlights. The food is so so, I haven't eaten there in years but the view is the best part :-)

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post