Thread: Fawn Among Tall Birds

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fawn Among Tall Birds

Name:  Fawn Among Tall Birds [BPN].jpg
Views: 54
Size:  348.0 KB
    It was so much fun to catch this scene. About an hour after sunrise in a marsh off the shores of Lake Erie, I caught this fawn meandering through these egrets and herons to get to her mother. Her curiosity got the best of her and she stopped to do a little investigating. Unfortunately I only had a long lens with me. Just outside of the frame were 50+ more egrets and herons.

Nikon D500 ~ Handheld
    Nikkor 600mm f/4E FL ED VR
    1/1600
    f/5.6
    ISO-400
    Matrix Metering

16:9 crop with no more than maybe 10% of the edges removed for framing

Sandusky, Ohio USA
    July 2017
    Warm and sunny about an hour after sunrise

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic, great capture. Love images that show multiple species and this is a great setting.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is such a different take to the usual, Daniel, so I welcome it. The birds pointing one way and the fawn the other add interest and some virtual separation. The main issue for me with this one is there is so much going on that the fawn risks being lost. I think a few changes could help in that regard. The main thing I'd do is to make this and even more extreme pano by taking more off the top (down to the water lillies) and maybe a bit off the bottom. You'll end up with an odd format but it might just work? I'd also try to tone down the white herons just a touch. Thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a lovely scene Daniel ! So much activity going on and the fawn looks so nice amongst the birds. I would have tried to reduce the exposure of the surrounding to specifically highlight the fawn. I think the egret behind its snout and the flower in front of its leg is a bit unfortunate . The way I see things , i might have also kept the subject in the center of the frame , this is just my opinion reg the framing as keeping it off center is kind of looking odd to me . But very nicely seen and executed as well .

TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel - A lot to take in and explore in this scene. I like it and like the added color from the flowers in the top third. Any chance you have a frame a couple of seconds before so that the fawn's nose is not intersecting the egret and the lily is below the head? If it were mine I would try to bring out some detail in the whites of the egrets. Nice one overall.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Too cool of an image here like the composition and all the birds.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Incredible sighting, Daniel!

This scene made me look up Lake Erie and read about the plants, birds and wildlife indigenous to the Islands. BTW there is a Photo Contest ending 31 Oct, you might want to submit this pretty image to Lake Eerie Living Magazine:)
    A rich frame and I love the colours, the little fawn might look a little lost among the birds but IMHO this is what makes it so special. Well seen and captured, I would be happy to see more images from this magic place, if you have

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea