Thread: Black Rhino !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Rhino !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone , thank you for your C&C's on my previous post .

Here is another image of a Black Rhino which we happened to see in a fading evening light . A relaxed individual it was and busy grazing the fields . Whenever the Rhino got close to our vehicle it gave me goosebumps as its massive size and horn made me realise how powerful and strong this animal is and can easily toy with our vehicle if by any chance it gets agitated . One of the most thrilling experience for me to see a Black Rhino in the wild at such close quarters.

DPP 4.5, CS6, BW conversion, clarity , levels, cropped very slightly from the top , rest is as it is .

Canon 5D MK III , Canon 500mm F4 IS II, Bean Bag.

1/400 sec; f/5.6; ISO 8000.

Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Detail looks cool from the techs (especially the iso and SS) Haseeb would you show me a colour version please? I find the darks very very strong and wonder if this might be the best choice for a B& W conversion. It will always amaze me that something so large and so powerful can be so gentle. i've not seen a wild one mate but a childhood experience has always stayed with me.

I like your framing Hasseeb but yearn for a colour version to compare and possibly confirm where my thoughts are drawn

take care

Stu

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this a great deal Haseeb. The frame looks like it has had a vignette applied but maybe it's the contrast you've applied after the B&W conversion that has brought out the natural vignette inherent particularly in a full-frame DSLR image (due to the light hitting the pixels around the edge of the sensor at a slightly higher angle). If desired, that vignette can be corrected in DPP but I suspect you have not done that here? All the same, I'd be very interested to see a version with this correction applied as I think it would be even better without the vignette effect.

I digress though. The tones and textures on the rhino in this B&W version are simply fabulous. I really think this is a standout especially given the poor light you were working with. Really enjoyed this one.

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - Always nice to see a black rhino. You have brought out nice texture and detail particularly in the lighter tones. I agree with Glenn that the vignette is very apparent (especially from the thumbnail). I'm generally not a fan of vignette and here it has darkened the shadows on the legs. There is detail there if you get rid of the vignette which I would do if it were mine.

TFS,
    Rachel

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, black rhino image is always welcome. Nice attempt at the conversion which you did pull off nicely barring the heavy darks. Details are nice and the BG is sweet.

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would run a round of NR on this, but it is a nice conversion and the mud adds a lot....
    Dan Kearl

11. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I also feel the vignetting is quite evident and not working as intended , will get rid of it . Noise in the frame is kept intentionally as I personally like some grains in the BW conversions .

Thank you all once again .

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, cool conversion and again kudos in the ISO, you certainly are leading the way forward for the 5D3, well done. I also agree on not using NR here, and works as you intended, it's one element that I think is so over used. If IQ allowed I could see you going tighter in an making the head a real feature.

TFS
    Steve

14. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Haseeb,

Perfect HA from this rhino, well captured! This is truly a rare "sighting" for me, around here most representatives of the species have had their horn removed.
    I like the conversion ( minus vignette ) and those textures you brought out so nicely, all works for me

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

16. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela and Steve , much appreciated !