Thread: Eye for an Eye

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eye for an Eye

Attached Images Attached Images

A male lion gives a menacing look at masai mara.
    7D II
    100-400 II
    1/2000
    f/5.6
    ISO 3200

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful dark mane on this lion, Sanjeev. Certainly has a look about him that I'm glad wasn't directed at me. Contrast, tones, colour and separation from the background looks good here. I wonder if the framing would work a little better if he was a touch more to the right in the frame - but unsure on that as this looks fairly good to me now. Thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev -- What a handsome Lion ! I can instantly recognise him by that black spot between his nose and mouth. Nice eye contact as well. I would have gone for a vertical framing on the field it self, providing more space at the foot. Also a lower POV would have been much preferable in this instance but i am sure that option would not have been possible for you. I also feel those finer details are lacking here , but you have got an eye contact with a magnificent looking animal.

TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - Looks like a big male with a nice full mane. First thing I noticed on opening was that this did not have the detail most of your posts have. Haseeb has covered the crit well.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

I am fascinated with your subject here, some interesting facial features. I too recognise the little protrusion below the nose:)

Is this FF, or did you crop from the top and sides? Composition looks good to me, I get the feeling he is about to walk out of the screen. A tad more at the bottom would have been great but I guess you don't have it.

Superb eye contact and expression from this male, I imagine he was fairly close to your vehicle, what a thrill! And I am quite happy with the detail on the face. However, more DoF would have ensured the mane and front limbs were in sharp focus while you still retained that nice soft BG.

A lovely image overall and the colours look good. Thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for your comments. Haseeb here is another image (not the same frame though) with a vertical composition. It was taken so close to one another that I can pass it off as same. Tell me do you like this one better?

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Sanjeev,

I like the second image as well. But somehow I prefer the OP, I just like the space around the lion there

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev -- Thank you for the vertical frame , i definitely liked this one better , but would prefer a bit more space at the top .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev a definite preference for the portrait image over landscape that bit more under the feet has it for me. San jeev there is an Asiatic lion do you guys ever get to get a chance at them in the wild. I know little of them Sanjeev apart from they are struggling and numbers are low,just curious really,it would be so cool to see them alongside the lions of Africa

take care

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev, I like the original (landscape) crop - but as I've said on other threads before, I do have a tendency to like that format in general - so please don't pay much attention to me! I do think the vertical crop works though - just not my preference.