Thread: Gray fox

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gray fox

Attached Images Attached Images

Caught this gray fox one evening. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Handheld, Considerable crop.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 6400
    f6.3
    1/80sec

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - Nice eye contact and pose from the fox. Overall, the fox looks a little crunchy, contrasty and lacks fine detail, probably from the large crop and perhaps too much sharpening. If it were mine I would try a looser crop and would also open up the midtones a bit.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi John -- I was abt to do a Rp but exactly that Rachel has conveyed above, a really nice looking specimen .

Something along these lines.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice alert pose, John. I'm glad Rachel and Haseeb have picked up on this one as the original post did look a touch overworked. I like the repost. This has held up quite well given the ISO and shutter speed. Worth trying a looser crop but I suspect the background and foreground might start to overpower this. Worth a try though as I can't see what's in the rest of the frame. Thanks for sharing.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello John,

Such a pretty subject to photograph! Looks as if the fox stopped in its tracks just for you.

I see you pushed the ISO nicely, the lighting conditions must have been a little difficult but well done in the field!

Nice composition here. I agree with Rachel, the image overall a bit contrasty and maybe a little too "vivid", or saturated. I like Haseeb's lighter version, do you?

Very nice pose from the fox and lovely eye contact. Do you have more images from this sighting? Please share if you do. I enjoyed viewing, thank you so much!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done John looks like you had very little light to play with. A subject I am utterly not familiar with cheers for sharing for that alone what a gorgeous animal,points above noted

take care

Stu