Thread: A Little Anxious

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Little Anxious

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

I have another cheetah image for you this evening, also taken at relatively high ISO.

I really like the pose from this cub. Mom is around, so is another sibling, but it's good to be cautious when approaching a waterhole...

Unfortunately no more at the bottom of the frame so this will have to do. And I realise it would be nice to see the paws, but it's not going to happen:)

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 5000
    F5.6
    1/2000s

Hope you have a wonderful week ahead, and thank you so much for viewing - much appreciated
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice composition here i like the light and the pose on the cheetah. Looks pretty good for that high ISO.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, like your previous shot from this sequence, I think the colours and background really work here. Clarity and tones on the cub are really great as is the pose: which looks almost like an aggressive pose with that raised fur on neck but I'm sure isn't. Note your comment on missing feet. In this case, I think what would have worked better is to have one paw raised so it is visible and I wouldn't have been bothered by the other paws not being visible. Just a timing issue: maybe you even have another frame like this? I like the composition on this one. Keep them coming.

4. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Nice pov, gorgeous light and I think the comp is great. I would not want any more below (not sure why you do) because I like the front mound tapering into the llc of the frame. Yes, if it came over the rise and we saw the feet it would take the image up a notch but not a deal breaker. A very slight darkening of the midtones of the bg really makes the cub pop from the bg even more.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- another lovely Cheetah image ! Nice light and that glitter in the eye is wonderful. I too wonder why you want more space at the bottom of the frame ? its fine IMO, fits nicely in the frame. Nice techs as well .

I have noticed the Hair on its neck / back looks a bit overshapened / grainy. Is it due to compression ?

A nice image once again . TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello John, Glenn, Rachel and Haseeb,

Glenn, I do have one or two frames with a front paw raised, but by then the other sibling entered the scene and is slightly OOF, not sure I like it enough to process and share:) This little chap is just a little weary here, I guess mom taught him waterholes and open spaces are somewhat dangerous...

Rachel, if you look again at my previous image posted I did an RP to show my concerns about the comp. The incline - ending up so sharply at the bottom left corner - bothers me a lot. Just too abrupt, IMO. It is a little bit better here than in my previous post but I am still not 100% happy. And I never thought about darkening the mid-tones in the BG, good thought my friend and I will certainly try - thank you!

Haseeb, the grainy look of the fur might be due to sharpening. I should have left that alone, I guess. Thank you for pointing this out, I'll just have another look at the TIFF and while I implement Rachel's suggestion I will sharpen more carefully, thanks Bud

You guys and girls are awesome, thank you again! Thinking what to post next...hope you are not too bored with my cheetahs...
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely image with nice light and BG. Nothing much to add to what has already been said above. TFS. For me any cheetah youngster image is always welcome. Such amazing animals.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela again this is lovely,that "mane" loosely termed, of a young cheetah so well caught here. Mate I really like your framing and don't find the bank ending in the llhc an issue, for me this is helped by the secondary level behind that corner.

The only thing that really grabs my eye is the tip on the tail,I might be tempted to subdue that VERY slightly .

Pose captured, light, a young wild cheetah WOW, and the banks, oof bkg, all work for me as did the last. I can feel his unease

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hate images like this Gabriela - it's impossible to give any constructive criticism ha ha ha. I almost feel like I'm there. The tones and color are so warm and inviting. Diagonals, triangles, an interesting subject with feeling - it really is A+. I would never have guessed ISO-5000 had you not said so.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks dear Sanjeev, Stu and Daniel, for your comments and observations,

I owe this special sighting to my closest friend Mr. Carl Walker who manages this private reserve. His ability to track animal spoor and anticipate their movements and behaviour always amazes me. Every trip in his company feels like an adventure, at times it is hard to focus on camera settings because I have so much to learn. I am curious about everything, including flora and fauna and how they are shaped by climate and geography. But trecently I realised my knowledge is so superficial... which is somewhat embarrassing. Nevertheless, I keep asking questions

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is an absolute beaut Gabriela, right up my street as we say round these parts. Such a simple frame, but the lighting is wonderful, really emphasising the face. Then there is the raised fur on the back and even the little swishing tail is in a great place.

The BG is just to die for, and the low POV makes him look so majestic.

I'm not sure why you'd want any more below, for me i'd prefer him to just a tad lower in the frame if anything.

Stunning shot, one of my favourites you've ever posted.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you kindly Mike, so good to hear from you

I will look into your crop suggestion, I must admit I have not thought of this possibility:)

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, like the intense stare and the windswept fur. The strong diagonal bolsters the composition, would prefer a tad less above, going more pano.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve - I like your idea, tried it and it works for me Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea