Thread: Damselfly

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Damselfly

Name:  IMG_6108-BPN.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  273.6 KB
    Apologies for not having been active here recently - I've been busy on wildlife and avian forums. This is my take on a damselfly. I liked the simple background here and the colour. In case you are wondering, I had considered removing the OOF stem on the left but think it frames the damselfly and I think the image is actually too simple without that additional element. I'm sure some with think I'm better off without it and would value your views on that or any other aspect. Thanks for taking a look.

Technical: Canon 80D with EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM (original version) at 400mm handheld. Manual exposure 1/3200 sec, f8, ISO 1000. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, sharpness = 3, crop, lighting adjustments, default NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements with Neat Image NR plugin. Very light NR applied to bird and stronger NR to background. Sharpened in PSE (Sharpness tool) after final size reduction.

2. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn,
    Nice sharpness on the damselfly and I like the contrasting color in the BG with the subject. I think I would take out the oof stem on the left but as you say it's a matter of personal taste.
    Allen

4. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice damselfly Like the composition and the background good detail as well.

6. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow that shutter speed paid off! Very sharp love the almost matt texture to the damselfly body. I am with you regarding the ghosts in the background but I think on reflection I would remove the one on the LHS but leave the others.

8. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post