Thread: Zuka Sunrise (This is for you, Rachel)

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Zuka Sunrise (This is for you, Rachel)

Attached Images Attached Images

It is common knowledge that Lions go down when the Sun goes up. Contrary to this (and to my delight, because he gave me an opportunity to capture his face on camera), this youngster dashed to a shady spot after lying in full sun for too long. Youth is like that, a little ignorant of what is good for them. Sometimes a little lazy and kind of forgetful. My subject here (as well as two siblings) is no longer with mom. He is ready to fend for himself and search for new territories like explorers look for now continents. And really just enjoy life the way lions do. Despite his young age and a lack of proper mane he already has a distinguished appearance which I am sure he inherited from his father. Anyway, I only had a few seconds to capture this, was busy looking somewhere else when my subject got up. So I raised the camera and pressed the shutter, hoping for the best. Out of five images I only kept one. The rest I deleted, reason being lack of critical sharpness.

Nikon D4
    Nikon 500mmF4
    ISO 1000
    F8
    1/2000s

Many thanks for viewing and comments on my previous images,

Wishing you all a lovely week-end,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Gabriela - Thank you, I love it. A very regal pose from the youngster and a nice creamy bokeh. I ran a couple of TK lumo masks to tame the brightest hls. The changes are subtle but if you click between the 2 become apparent. WDYT?

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Rachel, looks great!

Glad you like this:) Sorry I am late with reply, my internet is very slow tonight and it takes hours to upload or download an image. I am not receiving emails either. Trying to sort it out.

Have a lovely evening, I will be back as soon as I can,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Gabby,i do hope you are well and have a great but tiny break for the weekend,I can't wait or actually believe it is finally here.

A wonderful profile caught in seconds,good for you Gabby,I really like Rachel's work with the hi lights you ladies are so clever !!!

Gabby he's going to be a fine looking lad when fully mature he's wonderful now . Beautifully detailed,with a superb soft BKG great framing too ,a lot to like here ,a simple but classic portrait fantastically executed .

Mate is this one of the black maned lions that I think I remember you showing from the kalarhari ?? I might be wrong but I am curious as to how much young males might differ

Lovely to see this one that gaze is always so focused and intense, it seems to me. You have captured that facet so well

take care

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gaby, lovely relaxed pose, and I really like the finer detail on his face. Good DOF from the tip of his nose to the LRC of his back. I like the wind blown mane, and he is nicely separated from the BG.

Love your signature.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Stu and Stu:)

So glad you like my signature, Mr. Bowie , thought no one noticed...It is meant to show my love for lions. My bush vehicle is also full of lion paw prints.

Hope you have a lovely week-end, I really appreciate your comments and just taking a few moments to view - means a lot to me.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another really beautiful frame here, Gabriela (or Gabby? which do you prefer?). You have such talent. The clarity, light and tones here are simply wonderful as is the background. Of course, your processing has skillfully brought these out too. Really superb work. I initially struggled to see the changes Rachel made but see them now and think they are a subtle but significant improvement on an already top frame. Thanks for sharing and wish I had lion shots as good as this.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- What a fine specimen and the wind blowing through its mane makes him look like a stud ! Your subject is very nicely separated from the BG and well placed in the frame as well. Also nice choice of DOF as well , looks sharp and with all the fine details. Just very slightly contrasty for my taste , purely subjective i guess . enjoyed viewing this one.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Glenn and Haseeb,

You are both so kind with your comments, I do not know how to thank you.

Glenn, not sure about talent but I do have opportunities from time to time. Workflow very basic. LR and PSCC, no plug-ins. I would like to experiment with those but I do not have the time right now, maybe when I retire:) I try shoot in good light and expose correctly, I check histogram non-stop. As well as compose "in camera" if possible. I pay attention to every detail of the scene when out there. I also got to know my weaknesses - one of them is DoF, usually not enough. Err...to answer your question, the name is Gabriela

Haseeb - indeed he is quite a stud, isn't he? I agree a bit contrasty in places, the light was already harsh at 9 am. Some deep shadows I simply cannot lift without things looking odd.

Enjoy your Saturday afternoon, friends! I am off to look for something to process...

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

10. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A truly lovely photo, love the subject isolation and pose.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Roger, I really appreciate your kind comments

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea