Thread: Dunlin

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dunlin

Attached Images Attached Images

Tripod Canon 1DX Canon 500m f4 L IS II & 2xTC III Auto ISO 1600 +1.0, 1/2000 sec f8
    ACR & PSCC

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The head turn makes this image work. The low angle is nice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice details on the bird and I like the grasses. Wish the bird was more parallel to the back of the camera here as you would have gotten better light on it and less shadows then you have now on the head. Why don't they understand that and pose for us!!!

Do you shoot in TV? Could you explain why please? Always looking to hear other perspectives.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, lovely low shooting angle, and I like the feeding behaviour. The head is nice and sharp where it counts, and Im glad we can see the surrounding environment.

Bet you are looking forward to capturing some SA birds soon.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Nice details on the bird and I like the grasses. Wish the bird was more parallel to the back of the camera here as you would have gotten better light on it and less shadows then you have now on the head. Why don't they understand that and pose for us!!!

Do you shoot in TV? Could you explain why please? Always looking to hear other perspectives.
    Isaac for most of my images I set auto ISO then put camera in manual mode. I have set the camera with custom function so I can over or under expose the manual setting. Here it soon became apparent that +1.0 EV was required, for BIF I would set ISO manually for macro work also manually if tripod practicable otherwise auto.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the response but I am still a bit lost which is fairly easy to do sometimes . I shoot with a 1dx also. Why set auto ISO if you shoot in manual. And how do you set exposure compensation in manual? Thought you can't do that? Are you just increasing or decreasing the shutter speed to change the exposure? What are the benefits of that over just regular manual?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Thanks for the response but I am still a bit lost which is fairly easy to do sometimes . I shoot with a 1dx also. Why set auto ISO if you shoot in manual. And how do you set exposure compensation in manual? Thought you can't do that? Are you just increasing or decreasing the shutter speed to change the exposure? What are the benefits of that over just regular manual?
    Hi Isaac, my philosophy is simple - i.e. keep it simple. I see a subject and I immediately have in mind what kind of shutter speed and aperture would be required. Now baring in mind a slightly noisy sharp image is always going to be better than a so less noisy image I use Auto ISO. I am not really concerned if the ISO is 400 800 1600 2000 or 3200 I know the image quality will be good. To set your Auto ISO override see page 352 of the 1DX manual. I keep my eye on the viewfinder and use my thumb on the button on the back and adjust + or - with the wheel by the shutter button. I often see people pressing the Q button and taking their eyes off the subject to make adjustments but you just don't need to, I keep my eye on the viewfinder as much as possible in order to avoid missing a shot. You do of course see the shutter speed and the exposure + or - in the view finder. By doing this I am not changing my shutter speed or aperture because they are set in manual mode. Now, having said all that if I have a subject that can be twitchy and still then the aperture can remain the same but I can lower the shutter speed if I wish in order to optimise image quality - so as far as I see it I always have the best of both worlds.
    BIF shots and macro work usually I use a set ISO manually and manual mode exposure.
    Hope this helps - if you have any questions please ask.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am confused still. Why set auto ISO and have the camera do the thinking for you. If you are using custom controls to make adjustments anyway then why not just use custom controls to adjust the ISO so you are able to make adjustments with your eye to the camera. I have my camera set up as follows:
    Set button + main dial controls ISO
    main dial only controls F stop
    Quick control dial controls shutter speed

Again no reason to remove my eye from the camera unless I am checking exposure and blinkies. Plus I get to make all of the adjustments.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac, I am not sure now who is more confused you or me .

The way you describe things above appears to be the way my camera is set. Why not let the camera decide ISO? If I want a certain aperture and shutter speed I will have to choose the one the camera decides in any event. If I need to manually override it I can. If I have an ISO of say 4000 and I think that might be too much of a compromise on quality I can take the images I want then reduce the shutter speed or increase the aperture as I see fit.
    Whichever way you look at it your camera will decide the combination of aperture shutter and ISO, it is up to you to decide what is going to be most practicable to alter i.e. is it shutter, aperture or ISO. In my style I would alter shutter most of the time in order to keep the ISO as low as practicable. If you find it easier/quicker alter ISO than shutter speed then that is the way to go for you. The set up I use I find ideal for consistent lighting conditions i.e. repetitive point and shoot, as I mentioned before what could be more simple? I think we all get set in our ways of doing things, it is similar with back button focus I sometimes use it sometimes I don't it depends on what I am photographing. The same with flash do you set the flash gun output on the flash or in camera etc.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting points Jonathan. My philosophy is that I would rather do the thinking than the camera. Camera does not decide anything. Easy enough to control all three in seconds but I see what you are saying. Not sure I know any others who use auto iso on a 1dx but perhaps I am wrong. Wish others would chime in on this. I think it is a fascinating topic.