Thread: Zuka Sunset

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Zuka Sunset

Attached Images Attached Images

My companion and I spent last Sunday afternoon near a little dam at Zuka private game reserve. It was 5 pm and the sun gently fading, the last light revealing the splendour of the landscape and disposing us to seek and communicate our thoughts about the natural world and its beauty. Moments later we were watching a cheetah mom and her cubs walk towards the water, and as they got closer we all stared at each other in wonder for a few moments. I then asked myself, how does Nature create such Beautiful Things? I also felt a kind of humility towards those creatures, along with gratitude towards my dear friend for the opportunities I have today, which I could only dream of in the past. Despite the brevity of the moment I did manage to scribble a few words on a piece of paper, if only to remember how I felt at the time. The scenes I captured on camera the other day are still floating before my mind - I just know I will derive so much happiness from them.

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mmF2.8
    ISO 5000
    F5.6
    +1/3EV
    1/2000s

Thank you for viewing and allowing me to share my thoughts with you, much appreciated.
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the wonderful soft/tones in the lighting and tentative, but alert pose from this cub here Gabriela, I would have loved a look back pose from mum. but we can't be too greedy when sharing such spleandour.

The catchlight on the cub tops this off nicely.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Marc for thoughtful critique, much appreciated.

I am greedy, but Nature has its ways and often gives us photographers just enough to keep us wanting more

Decided not to look through the whole folder as I am hoping for a surprise, just stopped at this image and processed. There might be better frames, who knows?

Have a lovely rest of the week,

Kind regards to you and family,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 09-13-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, this is simply magnificent. A beautiful scene and moment captured with great skill and tenderness. And in such wonderful light. I like the way the saturated richness of the tones and colours of the two cheetahs contrast against the background - your interpretation is first class. Personally, I'm not bothered by the mother looking the other way. A very fine shot indeed.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Gorgeous light and warm tones. I love the pose of the cub with the paw up on mom. I also think the bit of water in the bg helps to tell the story and adds to the image. Looking forward to seeing what else is in your folders from these encounters.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Glenn, Peter and Rachel,

Not sure I want mom's face to show, I actually chose this image because it focused on the cub alone.

Peter, so glad to hear form you I see what you mean about the tail:a matter of perspective, I had a look at the other images and it looks fine.

Rachel, I will drop you a mail with some other shots

Hope you all have an awesome week-end,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- I just enjoy your experience in the wild, the way you see things and cherish them . Apart from your photos this is another thing which atleast I should learn and improve upon otherwise the chaos behind the Tiger sightings takes these thrills away.

Coming to the image and instantly the catch light in the cubs eye makes this one for me. Lovely light and splendid looking Cheetah coat. A lovely moment indeed ! I too wish for the mom to look towards the camera but not a deal breaker at all . enjoyed this post .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much dear Haseeb,

It is such a pleasure, sharing with you those experiences and images. And I do consider myself very fortunate to live in this part of Africa. Yes, living here has been enormously challenging at times, but being surrounded by wilderness and enjoying amazing opportunities made up for it. I have heard about the "chaos behind Tiger sightings". As much as I would love to see and photograph this beautiful animal, I do not think I could bear the conditions. I imagine one never really gets a chance to spend quiet time with the tiger, or wait for the right moment to press the shutter. I can only imagine the frustration.

Back to the image... And since this issue has been mentioned more than once, here are my thoughts: I am trying to imagine this frame with cheetah mom looking towards the camera, or turned in such a way that her eyes are visible. It would work of course, but it is not what I envisioned at the time. I actually took the opportunity to grab this shot when mom looked away. Yes, it would be nice to have a postcard-like image of mom and baby "hugging" it is kind of sweet. But to my mind this would lessen the impact I am looking for. I want a bit of mystery from mom gazing away and the viewer's undivided attention on the cub, or its eyes. And well, I now think I went wrong with the composition here, for a tad more at the bottom would benefit this image and make it more aesthetically pleasing. Hope I have it, I will do an RP and share it with you as soon as I get a chance:)

Many thanks again for your comments and suggestions, much appreciated

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Back to the image... And since this issue has been mentioned more than once, here are my thoughts: I am trying to imagine this frame with cheetah mom looking towards the camera, or turned in such a way that her eyes are visible. It would work of course, but it is not what I envisioned at the time. I actually took the opportunity to grab this shot when mom looked away. Yes, it would be nice to have a postcard-like image of mom and baby "hugging" it is kind of sweet. But to my mind this would lessen the impact I am looking for. I want a bit of mystery from mom gazing away and the viewer's undivided attention on the cub, or its eyes. And well, I now think I went wrong with the composition here, for a tad more at the bottom would benefit this image and make it more aesthetically pleasing. Hope I have it, I will do an RP and share it with you as soon as I get a chance:)
    Gabriela, I understand and agree with your approach here. I guess this is where the conflict comes between making a 'text-book perfect' shot and one which breaks some rules with an aesthetic or artistic motive in mind. Keep up the great work and I am very envious of the opportunities you are having with these cheetahs but please keep sharing them. By the way, I think the framing and composition of your OP is fine. Bringing more in at the bottom is going to add a lot of detail. So while the placement of the animals in the frame might look more balanced, I suspect it will be at the cost of drawing attention to the foreground. Give it a try though and see how it looks... and don't forget that I get quite a few comments about my composition choices so please take with a pinch of salt.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You're absolutely right about the rules, Glenn:)

In terms of composition all I want is just a tiny bit at the bottom - a matter of proportion to me, and I feel things end a bit too "abrupt" in the L corner. Didn't get to it yet but I will share as soon as I do:) And no problem about the crits and suggestions - I love a good discussion, always exciting. Now I must just prove the point I was trying to make, LOL

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

What do you think, Glenn? Sorry about sloppy PP work here, easier to add canvas and clone in than start from RAW. It is a very rough job but I just wanted to show you what I had in mind:)

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela beyond the remarkable image and the scene caught the thread has been a deeply interesting read.From the off I felt mum should be facing away immediately her gaze into the wilderness made me want to know more. "is there harm is there food what is she thinking " are instantly put in the viewers thoughts.
    for me the image speaks to me on an utterly different level because mum is not looking towards camera.

the pose you have caught and the lines created by the landscape the stunning soft light the processing and yes just that bit more at the base.

This is a thing of beauty mate it is for me an image that has depth ,I'm not meaning DOF but that indefinable depth that moves someone makes them stare

Hmmm it is exciting when time is pressed and you have had something wonderful happen but can barely see the results,one knows there might be something maybe not ,but sadly I understand this. It's a peculiar joy.........

it's no way to live a life,but it does have these exciting outcomes. Gabriela I didn't see it like this,well I do ,but when I come across something I didn't know I had I keep asking myself why I can't remember that milli second

take care a complete joy this one

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, I take your point and stand corrected on the extra at the bottom of the frame. I was thinking more than this would be added, but I do think the little extra does balance the composition more and makes a better image. Thanks for taking this forward as it has been an interesting discussion. In the end you still have a beautiful emotive image here.

I enjoy breaking rules too but I'm here to learn what others think the rules are first. I think I must master the rules first before I can break them but that won't stop me trying a few posts here and there myself.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Stu and Glenn,

I think it is important to pay attention to the little things, they often make a difference in the way our viewers perceive a given image. Those extra few mm at the bottom of this frame make it a lot more pleasing. IMO the abrupt line in the OP had the opposite effect. Was not sure why it bothered me at first but in the end I figured it out

Really good to have those discussions with you and I enjoy your feedback, very much - thank you both

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Following this thread from start to finish portrays what an in depth knowledge you have of wildlife photography Gabriella ! Your knowlege and image is seriously impresive !!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, not back home yet, but I do have access now .

I loved this when I first saw it, so I'm so pleased you posed this and shared it with folk. I think the capture will convey many things to many people and all individual too. Love the warm light and the way the cub is looking into the distance, but still clinging to Mum, albeit that it looks a bit painful.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much for your thoughts dear Steve, I so appreciate you finding the time to look and comment

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello
    I like it a lot!
    No problem about rules...for wildlife sometimes aren't the best. I prefer the first where the ground finish in the left angle
    I like light and background..tone on tone..

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gio, much appreciated

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea