Thread: Beauty of Sunflower

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Beauty of Sunflower

Attached Images Attached Images

Another one of my Favorite Sunflower images.

This time wanted get close to the subject and show the circles. The Symmetry and the circles petals caught my eye for this one.

This image was creating by combining 3 images shot hand held. Focus stacking to get more depth of field

Nikon D500, Tamron 90mm Macro
    ISO 1250, f/8 , 1/250 sec
    Manual Mode, -1/3 EV

Post Processing
    Cropping at the edges and , Nik Color Effect Pro and Noise Reduction using Neat Image

Let me know your thoughts, comments and feedback.

Thanks for watching.

Thanks
    Krishna

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krishna, i'not a macro expert, but i do love the detail on this one. Nicely done!

3. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Krishna I think you are going to struggle with focus stacking if you hand hold, ideally you will need a tripod and a focusing rail or just tripod and then focus at differing points. The problem with the latter is that magnification will change, the benefit of the rail is that you have fixed focus but move the focus point so magnification is constant. Then when you stack the images you should get optimised results. Hand holding is going to be a comparatively random process at best when stacking close up images.
    Your image has sharp areas and soft areas, it is well exposed and shows good detail where it is in focus.
    If you google focusing rails you will find some perfectly adequate and cheap ones.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Jonathan's critique. Nice exposure, wish the flower head was more dead center.

6. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with the critiques already made. For a shot that aims for symmetry, I did think it would have been better to completely centre the flower as mentioned by John. However, I do find this a strong and pleasing image. I was also surprised to read you were hand-holding for a focus stacked image. I didn't even think this was possible... but then I've never tried it either.

8. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the info. As I am just starting to photograph flowers I choose to take them handheld.

For sure I will try with focusing rails

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    Agree with the critiques already made. For a shot that aims for symmetry, I did think it would have been better to completely centre the flower as mentioned by John. However, I do find this a strong and pleasing image. I was also surprised to read you were hand-holding for a focus stacked image. I didn't even think this was possible... but then I've never tried it either.
    It is definitely not ideal to hand hold for focus staking. I was just experimenting. Regarding the composition, I wanted to have a slightly off centered image as I took lots of ones with dead center.

Thank you for the feedback