Thread: Golden light yellowlegs

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Golden light yellowlegs

Attached Images Attached Images

There are lots of these guys at the local fall shorebird spot. I ran a linear contrast curve on the whole shot, and applied the NIK detail extractor to the bird and noise reduction to the blue background (the 7d mkII, for all its strengths, tends to make dark-coloured backgrounds grainier than a roll of Kodak Tri-X).

1/1600 @ f/5,6 (would have gone with more DOF but blurring the background with all those distracting lines and swirls was more important than perfectly sharp legs)
    ISO 400
    7D mkII
    500mm f/4 IS
    ACR conversion, Photoshop optimization
    Last edited by Jake Levin; 09-11-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame and composition here, and nice pose from the bird too as it forages with slightly raised back leg. I'm surprised you had much noise to worry about at all at ISO 400 though... and I do remember Tri-X (coincidentally also ISO 400) - I have an 80D which is very similar to the 7DII and rarely have an issue with noise at ISO 400. Getting detail in those whites is always hard in that lighting situation and I think you've done well in the circumstances.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Jake, one of your best. I love the classic yellowlegs feeding posture. Keep checking that spot for at least another month. You might be surprised.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.