Thread: Juvenile Stilt Sandpiper

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile Stilt Sandpiper

Attached Images Attached Images

Photographed this very confiding juvenile Stilt Sandpiper on the East Pond of Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in Queens, NY. Water levels are extremely high there this year due to gross mismanagement of the pond which unfortunately has grown to be the norm. I made sure to shoot this from a higher angle than I normally would so that I could get the reflection and some of the habitat in that perfect golden morning light.

Canon 1DX and Canon 100-400 ii. 400mm. ISO 1250, F6.3, 1/2500.

Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful. These guys used to show up in late August and not hang around very long. This beauty is barely showing any molt at all.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

3. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely reflection and light.
    I like the single waterdrop falling to the water.
    I find the grasses very bright and wonder if you could tone them down a bit.
    Exposure and IQ are excellent,
    Gail

5. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arthur and Gail. Gail This bird was in a dark corner of the pod. Water was very dark but the grasses were glowing from the warm sun which then reflected in the water. To me they add to the shot as I really like the dark tones of the water and the warm tones of the bird and grass. I am not usually a fan of these types of backgrounds but for me the grasses work. Of course I understand that is subjective and see your point that they could distract from the bird.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah this bird must have arrived the night before Arite. I was the tamest Stilt Sandpiper I have ever seen and don't think it has encountered humans before as it walked right up to me multiple times. It was so hungry and busy feeding that it did not care at all about me or the 3 other guys that were standing next to me. This was taken August 19th at sunrise. Artie to give you an idea of the water levels on the pond this was feet from the entrance on the northwest entrance to the pond. Bird was just west of the path that you come out on and as you can see there was zero shoreline for the bird to walk on at all. There was some shore on the spit that is near dead mans cove but water was so high in places that it went over my rubber boots. I was crouching in deeper water and waited for bird to get at the perfect sun angle to take this shot as it walked between me and the reeds.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot of this fresh looking juvie, and a perfect reflection. I also like the warmth of the morning light on bird and BG, but I'd tone down the brightness of the reeds if it were me.

9. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An eye catching image I appreciate the strong contrasting situation and the bird shows well against the background. I do find the grasses at the back a little intrusive, I feel if they were muted a little the image would benefit and it would help maintain concentration on the subject.
    I have to admit when I first saw it I thought it was a dunlin, I have never seen or heard of a stilt sandpiper before.

11. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey John, A Dunlin will always show a more de-curved bill. Stilt's bills are basically straight maybe with a bit of a kink at the tip. All ages of Stilts have a steep forehead and will always show a more pronounced line above the eye.

with love, artie and Irma
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

13. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hey John, A Dunlin will always show a more de-curved bill. Stilt's bills are basically straight maybe with a bit of a kink at the tip. All ages of Stilts have a steep forehead and will always show a more pronounced line above the eye.

Thanks very much Artie, that is helpful. I can see the differences now you have mentioned them.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW Jon, I have looked at a few shorebirds over the past 41 0r 42 years. They are my firt love.