Thread: Ringed plover

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ringed plover

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS & 2xTC III Auto ISO 1000 +1.0, 1/2500 sec f8
    Low level tripod on a tray but tray not a good idea I thought it would skid over the sand but not so!. I have tried the gimbal bolted to a frying pan but if you are a tad to low that's it your snookered so I have now reverted to tripod at a low height.
    Taken on a local beach at Hoylake, around high tide.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Grat timing with the raised foot and a great low POV. I'd ay you've got all your end of the bargain right here Jon, just a pin the action took place in front of that little mound though. If you have the space I'd be tempted to move him a little further to the left in the frame though.

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet running pose with that raised foot. Details are very nice. I agree with Mike that the little mound in the background is unfortunate. I would be tempted to clone out the portion behind the head and see if I could make it look natural. I like the light here but feel the colors are a bit muted. There are 2 records of Ringed Plover in NY. The first was photographed by a foreigner who did not tell anyone about the bird until he had returned home and processed the images. He thought it was a Semipalmeted Plover. The second is a bird I will long regret not being able to chase. A friend found the bird about 2.5 hours drive away. Called me and sent me pics trying to confirm what it was. Immediately I said Ringed Plover and where??? Turns out it was horrible timing as I had literally opened a hole in my house and had to close it before rain the next day so could not chase the bird. Went the next morning but it was gone

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet action pose you got here! I like most of the habitat too, but as the previous posters mentioned that mound behind the plover was bad luck.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great capture Jonatan with the forward lean and raised foot. A bird on a mission. I agree the bird would be better more on the left but the mound doesn't bother me so much as it reinforces the shape of the bird. The white feathers around the neck maybe could have a touch more detail pulled from them? Thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The centered subject bugs me far more than the mound. Pan faster! And send one of these to JBWR at the end of the month :)

with love, artie and Irma
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This bird is on a mission.
    I love the soft colors and the sense of motion.
    I don't mind the mound too much but wish you had more room on the RHS for him to run into.
    Exposure excellent and good IQ.
    Gail
    PS Ooops- I see that my comments echo Artie's! I did not read his comments before I posted. Sorry for the repeat critique.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No worries. Honest repeats are great for educational reinforcement :)
    with love, artie and Irma
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.