Thread: Roseate Spoonbill

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Roseate Spoonbill

Attached Images Attached Images

Spoonbill about twenty minutes before sunset. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Hand held, full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 400
    f5.6
    1/1000sec

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I appreciate your point about it being sunset but I would be tempted to remove the cast, the colours can be made a lot cleaner, but you may prefer as presented. Colour aside a very pleasing image I like the setting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice pose from the Spoonie, you get a good clear look at him in a natural habitat. I really like shots where some environment is included.

I too would do something about the yellow cast. I agree with the late afternoon warmth, but for me, the yellow in the BG are too overpowering. Maybe try something like masking off the bird, then reducing the saturation in the yellows, either trying the Hue/Saturation layer or maybe the selective colouring option. That should let you keep the warmth in the bird but take the emphasis off the BG.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can see the guys' point, but I can live with the colours as is. Adding about 15 points of cyans to the yellow channel in "Selective Color" may give you a positive result. Gorgeous image overall, that could be strengthened by filling in the bit of blue peeking in at extreme upper left corner IMO.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful shot of a gorgeous bird. The light and colour work for me - but I do like the colours at that time of day. Clarity is great and tones well handled. Composition works too although I'd have been tempted to take a shot with the bird a touch further to the right in the frame but that's a minor point. Thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am fine with the color but would have loved to have seen the bird back more in the frame, to our left.

with love, artie and Irma
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Nice image of these fantastic birds in its natural habitat. I agree with Artie re placement of the bird. I also agree about removing the cast. It is always a struggle as to what to do with all of the warm colors that the sensors capture in this kind of light. To my eye you almost always need to reduce the yellows and/or reds when photographing in this light. It is odd that you dream of this light to shoot in but then have to tone it down a bit in post. I think reality is that the sensors capture too much of the warm light in this light and it is not an accurate representation. I did the following

1- In hue/saturation I lowered the yellows to -15
    2- I increased the brightness +3, Increased the contrast +7
    3- Did a shadow and highlight adjustment (many areas on the bird were too hot on my screen)
    4- Took a tiny bit of canvas off of the left had side
    5- Cloned out the bit on the top left and a bit of the darker area just left of the bird

Thoughts?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work well done. But there is no substitute for putting the bird well back in the frame while you are in the field. And as here, there are often multiple benefits for doing it right by moving the AF point :) In other words, I would have liked the bird further left in the frame.

with love, artie and Irma
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.