Thread: 'It's in our hands...'

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 'It's in our hands...'

Attached Images Attached Images

After checking us out this Polar Bear just laid down and rested, however with the shutters going off the noise caught his attention.

Like so many animals now, their lives are in 'our' hands, but it appears that some folk who have 'the powers' to do something don't think 'Global warming' is true, well when you see the pack ice getting smaller and or receding, to the point where these guys cannot hunt, what happens then?

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) resting on on pack ice
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/8 ISO3200 (resting on backpack)
    Original format: Portrait, slight crop from top, almost FF width
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good detail on the bear nice composition as well. How close are you to this bear? Are you on the ground?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely animal and beautiful shot, Steve. I could see a look of pleading here - appropriate given the plight of these animals and your comments. Clarity, tones and colours here are brilliant - not surprising given your skill. Some may not like the limited DOF here but it works for me and draws attention to the eyes. Only thing I'm unsure about is the crop - not sure what to suggest - but you have not much else left in the frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

How close are you to this bear? Are you on the ground?
    Almost 6m (18ft in old money). No this was from our very little ship (which I adore and have been on several times) looking down through the railings so about 16-18 ft high, it's all about getting the angle John.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Some may not like the limited DOF here but it works for me and draws attention to the eyes.
    Thanks Glenn, be interested to hear what you might think for the DoF, would you f/16 say????

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Great eye contact. Your usual excellent detail in the bear and the snow. Good control of blacks and whites. I am fine with the dof. I might crop some from the top for an alternate comp. It somehow lessens the feeling of shooting from above. Were you standing or shooting through one of the holes by the cleats for the lines?

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I might crop some from the top for an alternate comp. It somehow lessens the feeling of shooting from above.
    I have to disagree Rachel, to me the angle gives the feeling of being much lower and certainly less of an angle than perhaps from a safari vehicle where folk get too close to the subject and this creates the downward look, especially when seated behind. I'm always very aware where I can, to get the angle as low as possible which may mean shooting further much back, or flat on the ground with my hand being the only element between sound and len.

Were you standing or shooting through one of the holes by the cleats for the lines?
    Neither, lying on the deck on the side, standing will only elevate the angle and provide the pronounce view down.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So the latter Steve? At least on the Origo which I believe is comparable to the Stockholm, the way to get the lowest was to lie down and shoot through the holes for the ropes. Otherwise, the hulls are solid.

I still think removing some of the top emphasizes the head on pov by removing some of the back.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot, the way you have captured the fur nose and eyes is pretty impressive.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, lovely soft light here, and you have brought out his fur coat so well. Love the eye contact and the 'lazy' pose, and there is detail in the snow/ice too. I like the space below.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thanks Glenn, be interested to hear what you might think for the DoF, would you f/16 say????
    Steve, I liked the DOF as posted at f8. I'm not in the camp of always trying to get as much in focus as possible. In this case, I quite like the look you've achieved with the ears soft since is draws more attention to the eyes and rest of the face. I don't think having sharp ears here would have necessarily made this a better shot.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A powerful message dear Steve, with a very appropriate and thoughtful title.

F8 works for me, love the subject's face slowly melting into the background and those pleading eyes, their gloomy gaze.

An impeccable white on white, aesthetic proportion is there and framing as precise as expected.

A classy image, you make any subject beautiful with the sheer power of your style, thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- What a beautiful looking subject and lovely soft light . Loved that eye contact and the details and IQ looks terrific , superbly done . Would love to one day see these magnificent creatures in the wild and hope their tribe survive for years to come .

TFS !