Thread: Scent marker:Leveret ,Brown hare UK. Lepus europeas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Scent marker:Leveret ,Brown hare UK. Lepus europeas

Attached Images Attached Images

This is the reaction to finding a scent marker that hares seem to leave for each other. i'm very aware of this behaviour,but have not yet worked out quite how all this happens,one can see the marker on the cut rape stem.

A real treat to make images of my hares with late evening light like this,the lie of the land where these hares are means late sun gets to few places . I'd love to be able to have moved left but was scuppered by the sea of foot of so high dead stems left by the combine. A lot of luck here,I think this is a first encounter with this leveret,it was very jumpy,but fotunately there is another much larger kidlet right with me whom seemed to act as security for the younger. I snuck up on the older who was in a deep sleep bad form really but what can I say and got to spend around an hour with these two guys before they moved off just after the sun left. the session turned into a photobombing nightmare as they kept so close together,but it was a fantastic experience all the same such a joy to have that light and two fairly chilled subjects,leastways with time they were chilled.Also incredibly interesting to watch the younger copying the older and mimicing her really a special evening this one.

I met my two kids the week before this,what I thought might be transient ie they would forget about me and grow out of that secure thing we had doesn't seem to have happened. I now have two 3/4 grown kids that if I can find them and get the approach right are so relaxed it's untrue. Blaze especially was so relaxed I was able to leave him take a rest and then go back I spent two whole hours that night with them ,utterly bewildering for me

WB taken off back leg just above bright spot. Processed in dpp4.6. Pic style fine detail gamma darks .59 mid -0.34 shadow plus one highlights -2 colour tone -1 colour sat +1 sight NR above default cloned dust spots yellow sat -2 green sat -1 green hue +1 sharp pushed to 9

Canon 1Div 300f2.8is 1.4ext iii HH lying prone slight crop low and right for comp

1/2000
    f8
    iso 3200

Guys slightly off topic but very relevent. I am in the very unique and somewhat strange position of being able to choose the distance I am from the hares on many occassions. Very briefly if you were making images of a typical (ha ha) sized hare what distance would you choose to be at for FFmore intimate type images at 420mm just a rough in meters or yards will do,no detail required i'm simply curious. I'm using the lens scale to check myself a bit as I feel i'm getting too close at times,obviously they come close at speed sometimes which I can do nothing about,but I feel I can hone my approaches more to benefit my images

Thanks for all the help with my previous images,my apologies for not being able to post more at this time.

take care all

stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu - Your fieldcraft really pays off here again. Nice low pov. If it were mine I would place the hare a bit more off-center by cropping some from the rhs and below. Watch the whites, some are a little hot.

The minimum focusing distance of the 300 3.8 version I is 8.2 feet. As I understand it, the tc does not alter the minimum focusing distance. So for me, the answer to your question becomes how close can you get without creating any stress on the animal or altering its behavior. Remember the closer you get the more you need to stop down to get dof.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Stu, this is gorgeous, reminds me of 'Hartley hare' or am I showing my age!!

The light plays a huge part in this image and the low POV I feel is perfect IMHO, I also like the way the FG vegetation falls too, in a diagonal line so the RHS gives a clearer view of the subject. Nicely framed with some good space all round to give the subject 'air to breathe'. Based on (and I know I'm repeating myself), but with limited software the image illustrates a big step forward and you are now delivering some real good stuff Stu. Techs looks good, with a nice bit of SS in case the subject moves too and good to see you pushing the ISO, where some folk are hesitant.

Top marks Stu in nailing this one.

Now when you get the next bit of Software PS you can then address some small issues I think which will up the image.

- Loose the darker patch top left
    - Remove the stick in front of the nose
    - Remove a couple of highlights
    - * Reduce the Blue (70%)
    - * Open the Shadows (40%)

* You can do this now

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Stu - Your fieldcraft really pays off here again. Nice low pov. If it were mine I would place the hare a bit more off-center by cropping some from the rhs and below. Watch the whites, some are a little hot.

The minimum focusing distance of the 300 3.8 version I is 8.2 feet. As I understand it, the tc does not alter the minimum focusing distance. So for me, the answer to your question becomes how close can you get without creating any stress on the animal or altering its behavior. Remember the closer you get the more you need to stop down to get dof.

TFS,
    Rachel
    I had to get the FC right Rachel such a chance in that light,I blew a wonderful chance the night before i was sooo careful. It was fabulous to get it right mind the older lass was out for the count. every thing from there was undeniably luck.

Great points on the whites,I know mate i'm close to going over,once the sun is on them Rachel and one is close one really has to be careful. I'm not a good enough photographer to be really really honed on exposure yet Rachel,i'm learning getting better,but not precise enough room to be better. But I have learnt this: one has to be very careful when close in sunlight.I also have to check myself as I oft go too far under being over cautious. Noted on DOF,it's being applied Rachel i'm very aware. Again not honed not precise enough ,but yes I'm getting there

Rachel,thanks so much for the reply to my problem. Rachel you haven't quite understood what i'm grasping for. This will surely be my communication issues I'm sorry I'll try again if I may......... sorry mate!!!!!

I can get so close I can't frame,without as Steve just mentioned "the hare having space to breath". Rachel it's what distance I can have a hare stretch in anyway it wants pose in any way it wants and me be able to get the best possible IQ( ie not crop) and yet not be in danger of cutting tips of ears or feet off etc.

Rachel this is desparately peculiar,i've got a skill set sure FC wise ,but little hares yards away for hours with me is just plain weird really, i'm bemused by it all. This situation is throwing problems I don't normally have i'm having to back up to frame my subject obviously a zoom negates these problems,but I have a prime and that's it,it's cool I love my gear .

I need to know what distance to stop stalking and trying to get closer ,where I have the best ratio of "air to breath" to subject. This bit alone is deeply subjective Rachel,but it's simply does 10meters work better than 20m at 420mm,ie if you had my gear in your hands and the subject non plused by your prescence what would be the ideal distance you would like to be at?

thanks for everything Rachel apologies for me being me.I'm loosing lovely frames because I find myself too close,sometimes I can control that sometimes not,it's maybe a place I can improve.

stu

Rachel does that make sense? Obviously I could shoot at 300 but 420 is giving me that bit more reach when needed. They are really jumpy subjects normally

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Stu, this is gorgeous, reminds me of 'Hartley hare' or am I showing my age!!

The light plays a huge part in this image and the low POV I feel is perfect IMHO, I also like the way the FG vegetation falls too, in a diagonal line so the RHS gives a clearer view of the subject. Nicely framed with some good space all round to give the subject 'air to breathe'. Based on (and I know I'm repeating myself), but with limited software the image illustrates a big step forward and you are now delivering some real good stuff Stu. Techs looks good, with a nice bit of SS in case the subject moves too and good to see you pushing the ISO, where some folk are hesitant.

Top marks Stu in nailing this one.

Now when you get the next bit of Software PS you can then address some small issues I think which will up the image.

- Loose the darker patch top left
    - Remove the stick in front of the nose
    - Remove a couple of highlights
    - * Reduce the Blue (70%)
    - * Open the Shadows (40%)

* You can do this now
    I keep thinking of "Dillon" Magic roundabout Steve,so showing your age...no not so much

Cheers buddy ahh mate to have choices and THAT light !!!!

Steve I've mused a few times now whether iso should have been higher,not so much for SS, for once but more DOF,what would your choice of f be please??

Cheers for posting the issues now the stick surprises me it being the cause of the behaviour,I can see why aswell Steve, to the onlooker it works little fella is focused on something behind me to the left. But that does surprises me..... maybe i'm looking not enough from a the viewers point of view,more so from the naturalist side I suppose??? Interesting all the same. The blacks I can see,I actually really liked the contrast in colours in the bkg's Steve but I might be being swayed by knowing more and other images both very interesting points to make.

Noted on shadows and blues will look at this wow 70% Steve sat hue luminance?? can you be a little more precise,I know you don't use DPP just a rough for me to start from is that all on the saturation slider?? This is because of the warmth in the light isn't it the camera is over compensating??

Steve cheers for the help and the edit, nuff said, thanks mate!!!!

Such a treat to get that light here buddy, so rare!! It IS all about that light

take care

stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I keep thinking of "Dillon" Magic roundabout Steve,so showing your age...no not so much
    Yes, but 'Dillion' was eating those 'special/magic' carrots, your hare is far more alert - and on this planet!!!

Techs across the board all look good to me, I'd be happy shooting with those, if that helps?

Stu, the thoughts and suggests are personal so if you like the OP fine, just thought it was good to have the comparison. The Blue is the Saturation, it comes through in the vegetation and in the tail.

Be good in the coming months to have the contrast of frosty mornings.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This has massive ears compared to the cottontails i am use to seeing. Nice Light with a good low angle.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Yes, but 'Dillion' was eating those 'special/magic' carrots, your hare is far more alert - and on this planet!!!

Techs across the board all look good to me, I'd be happy shooting with those, if that helps?

Stu, the thoughts and suggests are personal so if you like the OP fine, just thought it was good to have the comparison. The Blue is the Saturation, it comes through in the vegetation and in the tail.

Be good in the coming months to have the contrast of frosty mornings.
    Yes of course Steve much all this is fundamentally personal opinion. It's not really rights and wrongs. I value those opinions buddy,they are often more educated than my own,but it matters not if visa versa. what is important to me is getting to ponder those other thoughts.... see the others ideas physically in the case of an edit(thanks again) like above.

So yes please give me something to compare visually or via words the comparison is invaluble. I'm an open book Steve!! Cheers on techs.

Frosts,misty orange mornings, I want it all........... hopefully I shan't see all of it from a van this year buddy fallow beckon aswell. Hoping if I pull enough hours now i can get time off this rutt

I've got a proper Dillon pic somewhere, we have amassed so much I can't keep up or keep track at the mo

Cheers for the reply mate,please do keep throwing your ideas at me,much to learn

take care

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    This has massive ears compared to the cottontails i am use to seeing. Nice Light with a good low angle.
    Hiya john,yes huge .

John if memory serves the above is not native,import by normans maybe romans,ha clattered I am. Our rabbit brought here by romans. Then we have an upland we call mountain hare which I believe is a true native here. They show the colour change some of your hares do John..... smaller ears than europeas but bigger than our rabbit.Our rabbit is quite similar to your cotton tail from your lovely image I saw recently. Our rabbits burrow underground,our hares live above ground all year round even the leverets are born above ground. They are very very different and tend,but not always, be found in different places.I do see them together at this spot . I'm speaking of the species above there,i've never seen our mountain hare,sadly. Gorgeous they are!!!

John our adult brown hare is huge compared to our adult rabbit, maybe size of a small dog, I guess. Their back legs and feet also outlandish in size compared to our rabbit. You have a greater variety over there of largomorphs. I think, but would stand corrected your jack rabbit is similar to our hare for size.

take care

stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Stu,

I am absolutely thrilled with your progress, in the field as well as PP work - so happy for you!

Wonderful behavioural capture and some nice techs too. Well exposed ( yes, it's all about the light) , nice POV, well composed frame and the colours are great.

Steve's RP makes perfect sense and I am sure you agree with his subtle changes. Keep learning and experimenting my friend, it certainly pays!
    I took great pleasure viewing this thread, thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Dear Stu,

I am absolutely thrilled with your progress, in the field as well as PP work - so happy for you!

Wonderful behavioural capture and some nice techs too. Well exposed ( yes, it's all about the light) , nice POV, well composed frame and the colours are great.

Steve's RP makes perfect sense and I am sure you agree with his subtle changes. Keep learning and experimenting my friend, it certainly pays!
    I took great pleasure viewing this thread, thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Hi Gabby my most humble apologies for my slow response. Thanks for the kind words. fundamentally Steve made me look at this differntly. Lessons are learnt here beyond post. the biggest thing for me is actually the removal of the stick and how the image then appears to an onlooker or viewer. Second I maybe could have represented this behaviour in a better way by using an alternative frame. I have lots of frames,I feel now my choice was poor for this behaviour.

The FC is a strange thing,tricky to assertain if it's actually improving,or i'm just doing what i've always done,I ponder this often. Certainly the niche i'm exploring with these hares is garnering me with experience,but alot of the moves I make when stalking are all but subconcious so it's a tricky one. I do know i'm supremely lucky to be getting these chances and often come home completely bewildered by what has happened.
    I'm looking at those blues Steve mentioned as well.

Gabby these last couple of sessions have been amazing for me the first more as the passionate nut case who suddenly realised his two kids still know him . The second just for that light as a photographer not feeling I have to compromise on my techs was so nice for a change

I so wish you could have shared these two recent visits neither being completely ideal but both so special,they would have made you smile for days

Thank you again for the support encouragement and honesty they will always be little steps ,some forwards some back. But i'm getting closer now than ever to banking a good RAW . Which is the first step of my journey

I'm thrilled too mate and more than this am desparate for more and to improve,as long as that hunger is there I'll be ok

take care

stu