Thread: Curlew sandpiper Calidris ferruginea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Curlew sandpiper Calidris ferruginea

Attached Images Attached Images

Tripod Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II & 2xTC III Auto ISO 1000 +1EV, 1/1000 sec, f8 (I must have knocked the shutter speed I thought it was on 1/1600 sec) - obviously forgot to put the lock on but I did notice and changed it later.!
    Not exactly a common bird to see in Wirral so I felt quite privileged to get a couple of shots at high tide. I think that is an adult on the right and sub-adult on the left.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm not sure about this one Jonathan mainly for the OOF bird at the rear and how that fits with the composition but I'm not sure what to suggest either. The rest looks wonderful though: lovely low POV and well handled processing as usual with great clarity, colour and tone.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan. Congrats on the nice sighting. Always great to see uncommon birds. Both of these birds are fresh juvenile Curlew Sandpipers. A good mark to look for is the fresh and buffy feather edgings. I find the rear and out of focus bird distracting. Also I do not think the front bird is tack sharp. The head looks a bit soft to me on that one. I think the slower shutter speed prevented you from freezing the action while these birds walked by. I would also remove the black blob under the right birds beak. I think the shot is on the dark side and would lift the exposure. This is a great record shot of these birds but I don't think this shot is up to your usual standards.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, lovely low angle, and well timed to get raised feet from both birds. Comp wise, I would take some off the bottom.

It looks like with your focal length, not matter how much you stopped down, the rear bird would always fall out of your DOF.