Thread: Father and Daughter

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Father and Daughter

Name:  Father and Daughter [BPN].jpg
Views: 58
Size:  318.1 KB
    And to think I wasn't going to go out for photos because of bad weather. There was no more room to back up and my other lenses were in my car across the creek. If I had a shorter lens I would have framed it to where you could see his full antlers and the young ones other ear. But then again, maybe it would have lost some of the intimacy if I did. None the less, I feel pretty fortunate to have seen and shot this.

Nikon D500 ~ Handheld
    Nikkor 600mm f/4e FL ED VR
    1/1640
    f/4
    ISO-1600
    Matrix Metering

8x10 Crop - full vertical image remains, the crop removed a little from the right.
    Small bright spot removed from the upper-left BG via content-aware fill in PS

Cleveland, Ohio USA
    September 2017
    Late day, cool, overcast and light showers

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful sharpness on the buck and a nice tender moment made better by the tight framing. I do wish for the fawn's eye to be in sharp focus. Perhaps a contrast mask applied to the eye would help a bit.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel, noted your point about not being able to get back any further. What a curse! A beautiful moment captured all the same. The male deer looks wonderful as does the background. Beautiful clarity, tones and colours. Shame about the DOF here. I'm not sure what aperture you would have to use to get a lot more in focus.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely intimate moment well captured here Daniel, I hear you on the DOF aspect and frankly if you were as close as it appears, I doubt even f/10 would have been sufficient, putting you over the D500's ISO limits, IMO. These big prime have such narrow DOF when shot at close quarters.

TFS

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel - Definitely a tender moment. Agree about the sharpness of the fawn but understand the dof limitations. Love dad's eyelashes.

Don't forget to give your thoughts on other people's wildlife images. We recommend commenting on 3-5 other wildlife images each time you post one of your own. It's the best way to get the most out of BPN, fosters a sense of community and allows us to all learn from each other. Your comments don't have to be technical, just tell us what you like and don't like about an image.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McLachlan View Post
    Wonderful sharpness on the buck and a nice tender moment made better by the tight framing. I do wish for the fawn's eye to be in sharp focus. Perhaps a contrast mask applied to the eye would help a bit.
    I don't know anything about "contrast masking" Andrew. I'll certainly look into it - thanks!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    Daniel, noted your point about not being able to get back any further. What a curse! A beautiful moment captured all the same. The male deer looks wonderful as does the background. Beautiful clarity, tones and colours. Shame about the DOF here. I'm not sure what aperture you would have to use to get a lot more in focus.
    Thanks Glenn! I really like the BG also. I probably could have given 1-2 stops of ISO and 1 SS for 3 stops of aperture, but I still don't think it would have captured this fawn well enough.

8. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You nailed it Marc. I was less than double minimum focusing distance. Always a balancing act with these settings and getting the most out of your gear.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Daniel - Definitely a tender moment. Agree about the sharpness of the fawn but understand the dof limitations. Love dad's eyelashes.

Don't forget to give your thoughts on other people's wildlife images. We recommend commenting on 3-5 other wildlife images each time you post one of your own. It's the best way to get the most out of BPN, fosters a sense of community and allows us to all learn from each other. Your comments don't have to be technical, just tell us what you like and don't like about an image.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Thanks Rachel - I'll be routing through here a little later when I'm on break at work for comments and such. I've been pretty quiet on here lately but plan on picking things up very soon.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is great love the interaction and the framing nice background as well.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, can only echo Marc's feedback here.

TFS
    Steve

PS Just watch the © mark doesn't become too dominant, perhaps just temper the opacity a little.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    This is great love the interaction and the framing nice background as well.
    Thanks John!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi David, can only echo Marc's feedback here.

TFS
    Steve

PS Just watch the © mark doesn't become too dominant, perhaps just temper the opacity a little.
    Thanks Steve! I agree, I do need to cut the size down a bit on my watermark add a bit of opacity. It's funny you said that, I was just going through LR and deleting all the watermarks I've saved over the past year since creating it. By the way - am I David? ;)