Thread: Which Razorbill image do you prefer?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Which Razorbill image do you prefer?

Attached Images Attached Images

Image #1 (3622): Razorbill looking toward us

This image was created on an afternoon landing at Inner Farnes on the 2017 UK Puffins and Gannets IPT. This one was made two seconds before Image #2 below. I used the Induro GIT 304L/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 2X III, and my favorite seabird photography camera body, the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering -1/3 stop: 1/500 sec. at f/9 in Manual mode. Daylight WB. LensAlign/FocusTune micro-adjustment: 7. The AF point that was one to the right and two rows up from the center AF point/AI Servo/Shutter button AF was active at the moment of exposure (as framed). The selected AF point was placed on the base of the bird’s bill, directly below the right eye, on the same plane as the bird’s eye.

Please check out Image #2 below (posted for comparison) and let us know which one you like better, and why.

All comments are welcome and appreciated. With love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Razorbill Image #2

Attached Images Attached Images

Image #2 (3624): Razorbill looking down and ready to squabble …

This image was created on the same afternoon landing at Inner Farnes as the image above. I used the Induro GIT 304L/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 2X III, and my favorite seabird photography camera body, the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering -1/3 stop: 1/500 sec. at f/9 in Manual mode. Daylight WB.
    LensAlign/FocusTune micro-adjustment: 7. The AF point that was one to the right and two rows up from the center AF point/AI Servo/Shutter button AF was active at the moment of exposure (as framed). The selected AF point was placed on the back of the Razorbill’s neck, on pretty much on the same plane as the bird’s eye.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 09-03-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, I prefer the second image. The profile shows off the bird nicely, good look at the eye. The shape of the bird mimics the shape of the rock perch. The image flows diagonally from left to right. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

4. Thanks Mike Singh, Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Art,
    I prefer number 2 as well. One gets a better look at the eye and the comp is more pleasing.
    I wonder if a slice off the RHS of image #1 might make the image tighter and thus bring the eyes out a bit more-I do love the white lines leading to the eyes,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like both, but my vote goes for the 2nd one as well. The eye naturally follows the curves of the head and the beak.

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its a tough one but I am more struck by the first with the bird looking at the camera. And when you are running on visual impact it is often hard to say why, but the best I can say is that not only do you have the eye contact but the 'Y' shape of the facial markings seem to add the equivalent of lead-in lines.

9. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Number Two for me. Because the HA immediately drew my attention. Plus, more 'attitude' on the bird. Lovely control of blacks/whites with great detail. Lovely perch with killer BG.

Will

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My preference is the one posted first in this thread, ie looking towards the camera. In the second one, the bird looks like it might topple forward (even though it probably won't) - but it created an uncomfortable feel for me because of that, I think. In the first one, the bird could almost be saying something to you with the direct look and open bill. However, I'm not always a fan of shots with 'eye contact' even though I know they will generally appeal to more people. I do think it works better here though.

13. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm with Glenn in selecting the first image. Do prefer eye contact images which bring the viewer in as part of the scenario. Leaves one wondering "And what comes next?'

15. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tough call.

On first look, the second shot has the clearer view and is more of a 'classic' shot, but I do like the way the mouth and the white markings on the face almost mirror each other on the first shot.

I find these birds really hard to shoot because of the eye, but always try and get the yellow mouth showing if I can

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
    Tough call.

On first look, the second shot has the clearer view and is more of a 'classic' shot, but I do like the way the mouth and the white markings on the face almost mirror each other on the first shot.

I find these birds really hard to shoot because of the eye, but always try and get the yellow mouth showing if I can

Mike
    Thanks Mike. I agree with you but only 100%. Razorbills are very tough. See my comments on that in the blog post here under the heading Razorbills are Tough to Photograph!

Was that great landing image of a Razorbill from Bempton Cliffs yours?

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Was that great landing image of a Razorbill from Bempton Cliffs yours?

with love, artie
    Hi Artie,

Sadly I don't have any razorbill flight shots so whatever you're referring to isn't mine. I have plenty of perched shots and I think I even have them copulating, but nothing I'd class as 'BPN worthy'. I might take another look and see if I've missed one now though!

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mike. The shot was posted on BPN, a sharp, spectacular incoming flight shot in late afternoon light. I am gonna try to find it now ...

with love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I prefer the 2nd image. Joseph verbalised the reasons very well!
    Mike

21. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post