Thread: White-necked Jacobin

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-necked Jacobin

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken earlier this year in Costa Rica. The composition was bit difficult to get it correctly here, but I personally liked this one the best.

D750 | 300mm f2.8 | 1.4x TC | 1/1250 | f/4 | ISO 2000
    Last edited by Raybel Robles; 09-02-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really lovely image, Ray. Colour, tones, IQ and background all look great, as does this beautiful little bird against the contrasting colour of the flowers. I'm unsure about the composition used. If there was enough frame, I'd be tempted to try remove the long stems on the right and bring more in on the left but that would place the bird more centrally if the same aspect ratio was used (which I like). But I'm not convinced it would work without seeing it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    Really lovely image, Ray. Colour, tones, IQ and background all look great, as does this beautiful little bird against the contrasting colour of the flowers. I'm unsure about the composition used. If there was enough frame, I'd be tempted to try remove the long stems on the right and bring more in on the left but that would place the bird more centrally if the same aspect ratio was used (which I like). But I'm not convinced it would work without seeing it.
    Very interesting you mentioned that, the more I looked at the image the more I think, I may perhaps move it all a bit the right, reduce the 3 long stems and add more green to the left side of it. Thanks for the comment and suggestion!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool frame like the flowers and the background.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The angle of the hummer let's the viewer see the white patch on the neck which is good.
    Great smooth green BG.
    Could you post the FF image so we can help you with composition?
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No flash I presume? Is that a natural background? Was this at a set-up? Assuming yes, were the flowers sprinkled with sugar water? Or am I way off base and everything in the image is 100% natural? Not judging, just asking.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    No flash I presume? Is that a natural background? Was this at a set-up? Assuming yes, were the flowers sprinkled with sugar water? Or am I way off base and everything in the image is 100% natural? Not judging, just asking.

with love, artie

Hi Artie,

The light is all natural, no flash was used and the background it's natural as well. The flowers are natural but I do spray it with sugar water to attract the hummingbirds to the them.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 09-03-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raybel Robles View Post
    Hi Artie,

The light is all natural, no flash was used and the background it's natural as well. The flowers are natural but I do spray it with sugar water to attract the hummingbirds to the them.
    Thanks Ray for getting back to me. I like the image but overall it suffers a bit from the narrow d-o-f at f/4 as expected at close range. It is relatively sharp but nowhere near razor sharp. Yu might try this to clean up the image desin in a similar situation: before applying the sugar water to what I am assuming are flowers growing in place, use some soft string to reposition all but one of the blossoms so that they are out of the frame. If need be, you could tie them to a stake that you put in place if there are no branches for you to use. Then put the sugar water on the single blossom that you want to see in your image. When you are done, you can untie the unwanted blossoms without have done any damage.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.