Thread: Eland

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eland

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all, a proud eland poses at the Mara with some nice back drop & grass lands.
    The animal is in the 'least concern' status in the IUCN red list.
    7D II
    100-400 II
    1/5000
    f/5.6
    ISO 1600
    I should have altered my setting and gone for more DOF & ISO 800 but well thats in hind sight. Th eland was walking so wanted to keep that SS up. He just paused for a moment to look at us.
    But I was happy that the eland 'pops' nicely in the clean environs.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - A nice clean portrait of the eland out in the open. The look to camera and the raised tail add to the image. Placement in frame works well and tones and colors again look better. I agree with your self-critique about the techs. Thanks for including the IUCN Red List status even though as "Least Concern" it's not eligible for this month's theme.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice, simple composition Sanjeev. IQ and colours look excellent to me. The light is clearly behind you for this (looking at the shadow below the eland's head). This has made the eland look fairly flat tonally which made me wonder if it a bit more midtone contrast on the animal might help? Also, I'd be tempted to bring a bit more colour and tone back into the sky but you might need to combine two separately processed versions of you original RAW (but I'd try selecting that part of the image and lowering brightness first). A tricky thing to do and one I usually don't look forward to myself. I think the eland will still 'pop' due to the colour contrast.

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev,

I like the pose and the IQ is really good. I might try to darken the sky just a bit.

Ken

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Sanjeev,

Lovely Eland male, so wonderful to see this animal in such good condition. Last time I saw this species in the Kalahari they were skinny and weak and did not stand a chance against the lion prides...

Nice composition here and good POV as well as eye contact. I personally feel the subject needs to stand out a bit more, what do you think? I think the colour is accurate so I did not go over the top, just a simple curve adjustment for more definition.

You have the loveliest collection of wildlife images, Sanjeev. As to techs, well...better to have too much SS than not enough, so well done my friend

Have a great week, thank you so much for sharing,
    Gabriela Plesea

9. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev again a quality frame and lovely to see an Eland. Detail swishing tail that look all work for me. I find the image almost too pale,I like Gabby's repost but maybe am hankering (wishing) for the sky to be slightly less bright and also to hold a tad more tonal depth. I think it's because he is set in a habitat almost leaning towards an animalscape Sanjeev,that I want more from the sky,i'm not completely sure ,but I think that is why me guts are steering me this way.

Lovely frame

stu