Thread: Flat calm

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Flat calm

I have not been here for a while but hopefully will find more time with the new D850 that should be on the way soon. It is hard for me to resist perfectly still water. This is the view down Ayres creek on the eastern shore of Maryland. Hopefully the docked commercial crab boat "anchors" the foreground. The sun was about to go down behind the trees and I did not have much time to compose this shot as I was actually looking for Eagles. A quick lens change and I lay down on the dock resting my camera against the side of a piling. I had more space below the bow but after leveling this is where i ended up. Basic adjustments in LR. Tried to get more out of the sky but not much there to work with. mm, 20mm, 1/5, f11, ISO 100, 16 - 80 f2.8 - 4, D500. cc

Name:  6003 - bpn-6003.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  360.5 KB
    Last edited by John Whaley; 09-02-2017 at 06:39 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi John

Nice image. It has a calming mood to it.... I like that the far lake shore is not broken by the boat 'wheelhouse'. I do wish for more clearance between the bow and the bottom border, as I think you do to.. Maybe you could extend the canvas down before you level.. I would push the sharpening on the trees a little harder. I created another layer, masked out the trees only then smart sharpened at 178% at 0.5 pixel size and set 50% opacity of that layer. It might be a bit too much, but you play and see what you think/like. A little jealous of the 850, even though I shoot Canon... The specs on that camera are exciting.

Don

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the feedback and the edit Don. It does look better. I added canvas to this one below the bow waterline and sharpened the tree line using the same settings that you used. Hopefully improved.

Attachment 171241
    Last edited by John Whaley; 09-02-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the boat in the immediate foreground and the over composition. Both of the reposts are nice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, The space between the bow and the bottom of the frame is a definite further improvement for me, so well done..

BPN Limited Member Gemma Watson's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really calm and lovely afternoon.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John...a lovely and calm scene. You did very nice with the exposure and comp. I am glad you chose to add some canvas to the bottom and you did so nicely. One little ittty bitty touch up is needed on the boat reflection in the added canvas. If you look closely you will see two dark spots and two small white lines extending to the right...these are repeating patterns from canvas addition...a very easy fix and it will be all fixed up :)