Thread: Swallow-tailed Gull, adult in flight — dorsal view

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Swallow-tailed Gull, adult in flight — dorsal view

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on the afternoon landing at South Plaza Island on my recently concluded Galapagos Photo-Cruise IPT. I used the hand held Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens (at 220mm) and my favorite gull flight photography camera body, the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. ISO 800. Evaluative metering at zero off the water which was +1 2/3 off the bright gray sky: 1/2000 sec. at f/5.6 in Manual mode. AWB. LensAlign/FocusTune micro-adjustment: -3. Center AF Point/AI Servo/Expand/Shutter button AF as framed was active at the moment of exposure. The selected AF point was on the upper back just left of center. Be sure to click on the image to see a larger, somewhat sharper version.

I got greedy on the focal length and was lucky to just fit the whole bird into the frame.

To learn more about the creation of this image and to read a comparison of the 100-400 II and the 400 DO II for flight photography, check out the blog post here.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mmmm, lovely shot. Beautifully handled tones from a master, not to mention superb IQ! I imagine some might not like the bird flying away from POV but I think it works here because of the turned head and the story it tells of the bird scouting for a perch, meal or competitor. Love the colours too. A very minor point but the only distraction in this image for me is the waves on the water which are tilted off to the left. Even though the shot was probably captured on the level and the effect is likely a result of the wind and wave direction, the *feel* is that the shot is tilted. Sorry if I'm out of line here - I'm fairly new here so please forgive me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, I like this shot with the orange eye-ring as the center of attention, then you scan from side to side to see the markings and coloration
    of this unique gull. The BG rotation lends to feeling this was taken aboard ship/boat and adds a bit to the story and imagination.
    Great sharpness and exposure.

-Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    Mmmm, lovely shot. Beautifully handled tones from a master, not to mention superb IQ! I imagine some might not like the bird flying away from POV but I think it works here because of the turned head and the story it tells of the bird scouting for a perch, meal or competitor. Love the colours too. A very minor point but the only distraction in this image for me is the waves on the water which are tilted off to the left. Even though the shot was probably captured on the level and the effect is likely a result of the wind and wave direction, the *feel* is that the shot is tilted. Sorry if I'm out of line here - I'm fairly new here so please forgive me.
    i

Thank you Glenn and welcome to BPN. Your comments are appreciated. to be honest, I have no clue as to whether this image is truly square to the world. Since the bird was well to my left when I made the image, it is possible that the waves were skewed a bit.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

5. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Foltz View Post
    Artie, I like this shot with the orange eye-ring as the center of attention, then you scan from side to side to see the markings and coloration
    of this unique gull. The BG rotation lends to feeling this was taken aboard ship/boat and adds a bit to the story and imagination.
    Great sharpness and exposure.

-Tim
    Thanks TIm. Since the South Plaza landing was made near the end of the trip, I felt as if I were on a ship when I was actually standing on the high cliff.

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this Art.
    Great topside view and love the shape of the feathers on the back and the fringe of white surrounding those feathers. Lots of nice flowing lines in the image.
    Exposure is perfect and image is tack sharp. One can see enough of the eye so I am happy with HA although I would still be greedy and wish for more of a head turn.
    You have no wiggle room to level the waves a bit as you are FF, but it would be interesting to see a version with a bit of CW rotation with some added canvas.But the problem with doing that is you lose the nice diagonal line created by the outstretched wings
    I would leave image as is!
    Very nice!! TFS
    Gail

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous whites, and lovely feather detail. I really like the red/orange colour surrounding the eye against the black head.

Will

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great exposure and details throughout. The red eye really catches you and pops especially against the BG and whites / greys of the bird. I think that red eye helps with any doubts about the HA. Good points in the blog post as well. TFS

12. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

"I got greedy on the focal length and was lucky to just fit the whole bird into the frame."

Call it beginner's luck... lol

Lovely shot.

14. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird, nicely shown... the slight head turn and red ring around the eye saves the image. Tech spot on as expected. Good to see you using and enjoying basically the same kit I have other than the difference between Canon and Nikon. Thank you for sharing, Artie.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

16. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is one hot gull. About the prettiest gull in the world. You have captured the most interesting part of the bird perfectly here. Typically I am not in favor of a bird flying away shot but for Swallow-tailed gull it is perfect. Love this one Artie. By the way, there is a Swallow-tailed Gull in the Seattle area right now. I saw it last week and was extremely fortunate that I was visiting family there the day it was found. It is only the 3rd record for North America and by far the northern most this bird has ever been found. Didn't get any shots like this but your shot helps me remember this fantastic bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    This is one hot gull. About the prettiest gull in the world. You have captured the most interesting part of the bird perfectly here. Typically I am not in favor of a bird flying away shot but for Swallow-tailed gull it is perfect. Love this one Artie. By the way, there is a Swallow-tailed Gull in the Seattle area right now. I saw it last week and was extremely fortunate that I was visiting family there the day it was found. It is only the 3rd record for North America and by far the northern most this bird has ever been found. Didn't get any shots like this but your shot helps me remember this fantastic bird.

Thanks Isaac. I got lots more good ones at other locations :) At full frame, this one was somewhat of a miracle. I did hear about the one in WA :)

with love, artie