Thread: Cheetah Cub - Head-on

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cheetah Cub - Head-on

Attached Images Attached Images

Got another angle on this one & a better POV. In my 5 outings in Africa, this was the first time I saw so many cheetahs & the cute little cub.
    5D III
    500 II+2X TC (1000mm)
    1/2500
    f/8
    ISO 1600

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, I'm away so can't comment on colour, so will leave it for others.

I like the framing and great to see you using the 2x with good techs IMHO too. I also like the fact the cub is looking away from camera. Like the previous images I like the blown HL of the mane and I think with the angle of lighting it's always a tough call, but I would go with you, but others probably not. For me this is where 'artistic' overshadows techs and where you have to make decisions on what direction to take, the safe route, or being a little different. Although the dead tree is not ideal, somehow I feel it balances the whole image and framing. personally I might loose the whole blob on the LHS past the plant.

I very much like this one and I feel it has 'life' if that makes sense Sanjeev?

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Sanjeev,

Fabulous sighting and I love your mini cheetah

Framing works for me and I like the space on the LHS as well as shadow of this little one. Great POV indeed!

Love the open mouth and raised paw. Subject stands out nicely Sanjeev, I just feel that the surroundings are a tad "flat", by that I mean the FG looks a bit whitewashed? BG is great though.

Super techs and cheetah baby tack sharp, I would try open the blacks a bit on the nose if possible. Overall a lovely image I took great pleasure viewing, very sweet (and those fine hairs standing up, slightly blown by the wind, just too adorable), thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev this is waaaay hot !!!!!
    Priceless good " catwalk " .....and the stunning low POV making this for me !!
    By far the best you have posted recently for my eyes !!!
    Lighting does look difficult to deal with , and you did quite well .
    I am not really " happy" with tone and color , as the 3/4 are looking light and the mid tones somehow thin ?
    I would try a different version with more tone in this areas ? just a thought , as the image has a Faux HDR character from the tonal aspect ?
    But for sure still a great frame, i would just try a different version and see how it does look.

TFS Andreas

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev, I'm again reminded how envious I am of all your cheetah sightings, and this one is really wonderful. Others have already said it about the look slightly away from camera and the open mouth - which all add to this. Also happy with the backlit fur behind the head. Only thing I'd be tempted to do is select and lift the shadows on the cub a little.

9. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice and sharp especially for a 1000mm. Like the composition and the low angle.

11. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sanjeev - For me this is tons better than the previous post of the cub. The low pov, off-center placement and slight glance to the side really make this. Also, here the blown hls are limited and not nearly as dominant as they were in the prior post. I agree that it looks a bit flat and used some TK luminosity masks to try to elevate it and then also reduced the reds a bit. I may have gone a bit too far and wound up a little more contrasty and with heavier blacks than I would like but this is really just to give you an idea.

TFS,
    Rachel

13. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the RP Rachel, certainly an improvement upon my OP, though a bit contrasty. Appreciate your help.