Thread: Dancing Bears

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dancing Bears

Attached Images Attached Images

It was unclear if these 2 bears were a mating pair in the early stages of courtship or two older siblings reunited and perhaps experimenting a bit with their courtship tactics. We kept a little more distance from these and there was another boar not too far away. Captured in the early evening.

Canon 7D2
    100-400 II @ 400mm
    1/1600
    f5.6
    ISO 800
    HH, cropped to vertical from horizontal, levels, curves, color adjustments, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty cool frame here like the interaction between the bears. Looks like the rear one is going to tackle the other one.

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice piece of action here, captured well. DOF is very good here, especially at f5.6 - so you must have been at quite a distance as you noted in your OP. Only thing I'd review here if it were mine is overall brightness of the image but that's simply a style preference of mine.

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic image Rachel -- Well timed and nicely processed as well . I liked the subject especially the one facing the camera being nicely standing out against the BKG and showing those deadly paws. I loved this one .

I would have cropped slightly from the top to eliminate the patch of blue sky in the URC, and that is called as real nit picking .

TFS !

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice image Rachel with cool interaction & the vertical crop works fine. Those paws are huge. good colours & details.

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, I think addressing the bright grass environment will help, as the bears are quite contrasting against the brighter elements. Good detail with the bear facing, but I'm not a lover of just the back of the second bear. The image needs some Luminosity layers and masks to get that depth it needs. Personally I would move the whole crop up, with less below and more above and if that includes blue of the sky that that would be a nice touch with a contrasting colour.

Good to see you getting the SS high these days, I think some of last years SA images would have benefitted.

TFS
    Steve

11. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

A fun image and it brought a wide smile on my face, I wish I was there to see this with my own eyes!

I particularly like the detail on the bear facing the camera and very pleased you have managed to capture movement so well with some very thoughtful techs.

In terms of composition I would consider taking off a tad from the bottom, just above the signature.

Love the action here. I haven't given much thought to colours and depth as such but having read Steve's comments I guess you could extract more from this? Frame a little " light " overall and maybe a tweak or two could help add more punch, nevertheless I love it and rather jealous of this awesome opportunity, thank you so much for sharing my friend

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

13. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, well timed to have captured the facing bear with his front legs/arms in the 'sparring' position. Good choice going vertical here, and I like the long strands of grass around the back bear - not enough to obscure him.

15. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Rachel as said previously ... you got back with a bucket full of some very nice bear images !!!
    This is no exception , love the expression of the bears face . Nice pose and the framing works well for me , colors looking good to me .
    I just think , like Steve , the image needs more depth and tone in the lighter parts .
    For me very obvious that you are going light in the tonal range ... might be a new vision of yours ? Well a matter of taste sometimes .

TFS Andreas

17. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Andreas, you may be correct about me going a bit lighter and brighter with these images. As you know, I prefer to reflect what I saw and the light while at SSCL was quite bright with little to no clouds except for one day. I was also there just before the summer solstice which meant that the light was pretty strong the entire time. The best light tended to be when we had some reflective light at low tide by the water early morning or late afternoon.

Thanks again,
    Rachel