Thread: Grey seal

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey seal

Attached Images Attached Images

Well as highlighted Andreas, here is a 'Seal' .

Not the greatest of shots or conveying dramatic action compared to Andreas's encounters, just taken from one of the small boats on route to the Farnes. Unfortunately that day a large group were travelling too and as soon as they saw something to photograph they all hurried to that particular side, not knowing the skipper would swing the boat around so all sides got a viewing. Therefore sadly, I had to try and shoot over the 'grau socked' folks heads, (sorry little joke with Andreas), not ideal. Very overcast that day until the late afternoon. Probably should have gone to f/11 or more and ramped up the ISO, but from around 35m away I was hoping f/8 was enough, but I feel it could have done with more.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Grey seal (Halichoerus grypus)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO1000
    Original format: Landscape, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super detail & sharpness Steve. Colours look perfect. I like the huge eye & the HA is nice. Agree on the DOF but it seems sufficient here. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree on the DOF but it seems sufficient here
    Thanks Sanjeev, but I'm now thinking in terms of the old school film days and shooting more f/9, f,11 and if light permits f/16. If I'm shooting f/9 say , with a TC I will go f/11.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice detail on the seal here. Pretty cool portrait as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great details, pose, and a really nice look at the eye. I like the soft blue BG as well. I had the same experience trying to shoot off the boat -- frustrating to lock AF and then have a head pop into the frame! Steve, if you don't mind could you expand on what you mean by this bit below? I started in the digital era so zero experience with film outside playing with a couple rolls

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thanks Sanjeev, but I'm now thinking in terms of the old school film days and shooting more f/9, f,11 and if light permits f/16. If I'm shooting f/9 say , with a TC I will go f/11.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No problem Alex.

A lot of the time I shoot f/5.6 why, it just works, but now I am leaning far more towards more DoF. I'm not so 'hung up' about ISO as I want faster SS ultimately, but if techs allow I will also take more DoF. I think Artie may too have mentioned greater DoF on one of his blogs?????

I for a long time have pushed faster SS and pushing ISO with the new cameras bodies being launched, they are designed to nail the capture, but folk have to break from a mindset of low SS IMHO when they have plenty of ISO. Dan C illustrates well low SS, but he has a great technique. Some folk are embracing what I have said with superb result, non more so than Andreas. Software allows you to push the boundaries, but sadly I have seen too many Raws which confirm the capture is not sharp through low SS. Personally as I have said many times - it's better to have a slightly noisy, yet sharp image, than a soft no noise image.

7. Thanks Alex Becker thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really lovely portrait, Steve. And at 35 metres, the IQ is remarkable. I guess the risk of atmospheric perturbation in that environment was minimal and helped a lot. I find it hard to get conditions where I can take shots at that range most of the time without air convection currents destroying the clarity. I am surprised f8 wasn't enough here at that distance but I haven't looked at the DOF tables to check. I'm assuming you have the inbuilt 1.4x converter for that lens in the optical path for this shot?

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve - This is a low ISO shot for you these days. It's a simple yet effective portrait and the detail in the eye in particular is excellent. DOF is ok for me but it would be interesting to compare at f11. Were they wearing sandals with the grey socks?

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- This is very nicely framed and as Sanjeev mentioned that big eye is really the center of attraction in this frame. Lovely details in the fur , but as you mentioned i too would have liked a bit more DOF in this one , but i dont know how much would have been fine for a sharper snout ? But all in all a very fine image .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve well a lovely Grey seal portrait ... i like the head turn und the OOF body fading away in the unsharpness.
    Lovely fine detail and great to see the fine hairs when they are dry .Gonna love the color and tone rendition and the eye is looking priceless good . Stunning IQ Mister perfect
    The fur does look quite light for a young male ......but maybe they do look different depending on the location .
    I do agree a bit more DOF would not hurt the image to get the snout sharp too ....but ....
    Just surprised about the 35 m shooting distance ........i think a typo from your side , as at 35 meters with that combo you should have more in focus and the seal smaller in the frame .

Maybe you got puzzled while you were thinking about the " graue Socken " ....and how you can get me

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just surprised about the 35 m shooting distance ....
    Rumbled Andreas, should have put ft in, not meters , just rechecked the data. BTW this was before it all went back to Canon, so f/8 may have been OK, but f/11 would have given the edge.

Maybe you got puzzled while you were thinking about the " graue Socken " ....
    Ah, yes that was it, that is indeed what through me, thinking back to the the 'graue socken' group

Glenn, extender engaged so it's 560mm.

13. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve now all makes sense .........F11 would have been better for perfection i guess.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, lovely texture and detail on the Seal's coat, and he pops nicely against your clean BG.

At that distance shooting 560mm, would F/11 have made much difference.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

As you already know I really love portraits. And this is no exception

Superb framing and the detail in the eye is fantastic, lovely colours and tonality.

Been wondering about F11...I quite like the DoF here, less conventional and contributes to a lovely soft BG, the subject almost "melts" into the frame and I just love the mood, it gently draws me in.

A pleasure to view as always, thank you for sharing Steve.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea