Thread: The Little Wonder !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Little Wonder !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone !

I am glad that i am again able to post here at BPN, really missed this place ! All work related issues but i hope that once again I will be able to post here and continue the learning process from where I left .

I would love to post for this months theme , an image from my Mara trip back in Nov 2015. Head this chaotic leopard sighting where the mother and her two cubs were all surrounded by vehicles and then sense prevailed which ultimately resulted in a free passage for them. This little fellow came way to close to our vehicle and i just somehow managed to get it in the frame amongst all the chaos.

It was not a very early morning shot but there was still some coolness in the light and of course greenery all around as rain had been around for some time.

Canon 5D MK III , Canon 500mm f4 IS II, Bean Bag.

1/640 sec; f/7.1; ISO 2000

DPP 4.5, CS6, WB, selective colour, curves, colour balance, clipped the tail slightly at the top of the frame , which i tried and added back , also added slight canvas at the foot of the image.

All your C & C's are most welcome and much appreciated .

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - Glad to see you back posting. What a cutie! Great low pov and eye contact. You did well here to get the capture. When they get so close it gets tough because you need more dof. Also when they get really close then they're within the minimum focusing distance of the lens and you can't AF. Watch the whites, some are on the hot side. If it were mine I would also burn the bright blade of grass on the rhs intersecting the tail.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful work Haseeb, great capture and excellent image quality. I really like the expression too. I'm less convinced about the canvas expansion but agree with Gail on the benefit of treating some of the grass intersecting the cub.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool little cat here what is this a leopard? Like all the grasses.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am glad that i am again able to post here at BPN, really missed this place ! All work related issues but i hope that once again I will be able to post here and continue the learning process from where I left .
    Great to have you back Haseeb, not only in posting but also your contributions too.

A nice encounter and at that age a real find. I think you need to take your time in the rebuild of the tail, some repeat patters, zoom in & out and look, as I think you well get a better 'handle' on how it looks. Regarding the techs, f/8 and minimum 1/1600 SS as the cub is moving and the closer it is the more DoF you needed, but I find the subject looking a bit crunchy and not pit sharp, a little heavy on the Blacks & Contrast perhaps??? Can you check where the FP was Haseeb, I think on the top part of the head? Colour looks good and I like the slight body/head turn.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions !

@ Rachel - I was also 50-50 on the whites but i guess will need to lower them a bit .
    @ Steve : The focus point is on its left eye and bridge of the nose , but it is not tack sharp, might be because of some movement in the vehicle . And definitely will have to work on that again there is some repetition of patterns for sure.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you're back Haseeb, looking forward to some more of your work. This is a great sighting, really intimate with the lower than normal shooting level, almost peering through the grasses.

Steve and Rachel have already covered the points I would have made.

Hope you're getting back out and about again - doesn't work really get in the way of things!

Mike

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb a cool encounter i bet .
    I like the pose and the look he gave you , a pity about the cut off tail . I would rather do a tighter crop than adding body parts ....just my thoughts .
    Color and tones looking good to me , but i might also drop the whites a fraction .
    A shame about the hairs crossing that left eye as viewed ...but for sure nothing you can do about that .
    Lovely frame , Haseeb .
    TFS Andreas

11. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Mike and Andreas , your comments and suggestions are much appreciated .