Thread: Green Heron

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Green Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image of a Green Heron yesterday morning at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 320mm
    1/2000 F/7.1 Matrix Metering +1 EV ISO 1000 AWB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC 2017, cloned out specular highlights on the bill
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joseph -- I meant to comment on your in flight shot from this encounter but unfortunately just a really packed week on my end so I've been really bad about BPN. My thoughts for this frame, as well as the IF one, are that I really like this nice two toned BG, the perch, and good detail on the bird, although I could see just a bit more sharpening on the head maybe. Here I like the open beak and the clear look at the eye and pupil. The IF frame I liked the wing position and the clutched trailing feet -- a nice pose on that one with again a good look at the eye. TFS, I've never been able to get close to these guys so very envious!

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Becker View Post
    Hi Joseph -- I meant to comment on your in flight shot from this encounter but unfortunately just a really packed week on my end so I've been really bad about BPN. My thoughts for this frame, as well as the IF one, are that I really like this nice two toned BG, the perch, and good detail on the bird, although I could see just a bit more sharpening on the head maybe. Here I like the open beak and the clear look at the eye and pupil. The IF frame I liked the wing position and the clutched trailing feet -- a nice pose on that one with again a good look at the eye. TFS, I've never been able to get close to these guys so very envious!
    Hi Alex, thank you for viewing and commenting. I took down the in flight image because I rushed to post it, later seeing a few things I wanted to do over. I will post it again soon.

Regarding this image I did it over with my normal workflow, doing less in post processing accepting what the image gives. Here is a repost.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice Joe, I love the clear upper body and head against the 2 tone BG, and on this occasion the perch covering the lower half doesn't bother me simply because it all looks so natural rather than set up

Mike

6. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great calling pose, background and comp. Good detail on the neck area, which is probably where the focus was (if not on the perch). I agree the head could be a bit sharper.

8. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated.

Alex and Bill, not sure why the head appears to need more sharpening. My guess would be the smooth feathers as opposed to the rougher feathers of the neck. Here is a screen capture showing the active focus point. It is on the upper neck on the same plane as the head. The depth of field was 0.38 meters/14.96 inches, more than enough to have both head and neck in sharp focus. Any thoughts of why the head would appear softer? Thanks again...
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, you may be right about the feathers. As I look more carefully it does appear that the head has some good detail. It may be that the sun angle is giving some shadow relief to the coarser feathers of the neck making that area appear more sharp. Still, I might be tempted to hit the head with just a touch of selective sharpening, to see what it looks like.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, it could be the monopod. Just as with handheld, any slight movement back or forth can throw off the critical focus point. I know the focus point was active (good), but sometimes it may just be a tad late reacting to micro-movements. Could also be the heron itself moving its head as it calls.

A nice image though, did you get he chance to try a few verticals too?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Joe, it could be the monopod. Just as with handheld, any slight movement back or forth can throw off the critical focus point. I know the focus point was active (good), but sometimes it may just be a tad late reacting to micro-movements. Could also be the heron itself moving its head as it calls.

A nice image though, did you get he chance to try a few verticals too?
    Hi Daniel, no verticals... I was anticipating it flying, which it did soon after this image. See my most recent post. Thank you for viewing and commenting.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Joe, this looks real good. The blue with green BG shows the bird real well. The open bill takes it up a notch.

Will