Thread: Mana Pools elephant

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mana Pools elephant

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 7D2, 100-400 II@5.6, ISO 1600, 1/1250s. PP: define, curves.

Love the Mana Pools light. Beautiful place. Hope this image captured the feeling of the place. CC most welcome.
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Douglas, I like the idea of going 'Animalscape' here with the subject small in frame and being off-set to the right, but looking left. I also like the way the tree canopy arches across the frame and the use of the LH tree trunk to give a hard edge to the frame. It also has a very tranquil feeling. However the dominant blue in the BKG I find too strong, something I've not seen in Morkel's images of MP, but I could well be wrong. If you have the time and make a virtual copy and address this and the Purple/Magenta fringing on the sides of the frame I feel it would certainly help, or be an alternative to the OP, but you then may find that area lacks 'tone' and so you may then need to compensate. Techs look good in terms of SS, but I think at f/5.6 you do have a very shallow DoF.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve,

More like this?

I reduced the saturation of yellow, blue and green.

I may have an issue between Firefox and PSCC because both images here appear more saturated than they do when processing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Douglas, I like the idea of going 'Animalscape' here with the subject small in frame and being off-set to the right, but looking left. I also like the way the tree canopy arches across the frame and the use of the LH tree trunk to give a hard edge to the frame. It also has a very tranquil feeling. However the dominant blue in the BKG I find too strong, something I've not seen in Morkel's images of MP, but I could well be wrong. If you have the time and make a virtual copy and address this and the Purple/Magenta fringing on the sides of the frame I feel it would certainly help, or be an alternative to the OP, but you then may find that area lacks 'tone' and so you may then need to compensate. Techs look good in terms of SS, but I think at f/5.6 you do have a very shallow DoF.

TFS
    Steve
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Douglas the first issue is that the posting doesn't have the correct embedded sRGB profile, so that is perhaps why you are seeing the difference in colour shift? You need to check your settings and ensure that all web images have the sRGB profile embedded when you write images for the web.

I was going more this way, getting the saturation that you talked about in the canopy, loosing the blue and fringing of the Pur/Mag on the sides and so the subject then also standout more too? But remember, I'm guessing on this, plus am working from the OP, so everything is very limited in terms of what I can do with colour.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That the color space was not sRGB is a bit puzzling. I saved the image with Export As and both convert and embed should have been checked.

I don't see the Pur/Mag fringing. Where should I look? I tinkered with CR Manual Defringe P/M sliders without success.

I appreciate that you took the time to RP. I agree with you that the elephant stands out more in your RP. Interesting outcome, but considering the overall Animalscape approach that you observed, I'm wonder if standing out is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Douglas the first issue is that the posting doesn't have the correct embedded sRGB profile, so that is perhaps why you are seeing the difference in colour shift? You need to check your settings and ensure that all web images have the sRGB profile embedded when you write images for the web.

I was going more this way, getting the saturation that you talked about in the canopy, loosing the blue and fringing of the Pur/Mag on the sides and so the subject then also standout more too? But remember, I'm guessing on this, plus am working from the OP, so everything is very limited in terms of what I can do with colour.
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That the color space was not sRGB is a bit puzzling. I saved the image with Export As and both convert and embed should have been checked.
    If you are using PS then File > Expert > Save for Web (Legacy), but you need to check the relevant boxes, and use 'Preview' Use Document Profile and use Metadata ALL. Also ensure in the Metadata panel when you first start that Copyright is selected.

I don't see the Pur/Mag fringing. Where should I look?
    Douglas, look at the tree trunk RHS, now look at either of your posts then mine, note on my RP the tree trunk looks more 'neutral' IMHO when you reduce these sliders, but the sliders need to vary in amounts, personal taste, what looks right basically, but you can see the change in real time. It's often hard to try to describe things in a concise way Douglas compared to the spoken word , so apologies. Use the Colour Management system within the Raw Converter you are using, (DPP, ACR, LR, C1...) if you are changing things to the RAW, but I feel it's more 'Global' rather than targeting specific areas. Remember I'm working from your OP as I said, so I would keep looking at the RAW for best results, not the various JPEGs.

I know I often go on about getting the right WB to start with, but it does remove any colour casts and you then have the best platform in which to build on, as you can then change the WB to suit knowing all is good.

Interesting outcome, but considering the overall Animalscape approach that you observed, I'm wonder if standing out is necessary.
    Again Douglas, personal tastes and to what degree.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I won't comment on the technical aspects here as that is well in hand with those more expert than me. But I do really love the composition and idea behind this image. A wonderful result.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Douglas - The first thing I noticed upon opening was how much more blue your image has than Morkel's from the same location. I believe you were on a trip led by Morkel and that he has even posted images taken of this same ele (unless you went on another trip in which case I apologize). I also see the purple/magentas in the tree trunks. Steve has taken care of the color issues. I too like animalscapes and the comp here works quite well with the tree and canopy forming the edges. Nice image design in the field.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Rachel. This image was taken last fall with Marlon. We were with Morkel in 2014. Wonderful destination. Love to return, but it is unlikely.
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Technical side already well covered, but from the aesthetics side this is simply beautiful. Looks almost as if it is a painting. Little touches like the light on the trees above really make this shot and it really calls out to be printed nice and big

Mike

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful image, I would definitely revisit the raw file, investigate fully, I think you have a memorable picture for sure.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like very much composition..it give me the right idea of the situation

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Douglas,

Superb scene you have captured here, typical of Mana Pools indeed. Looking at the size and dignity of those awesome trees the word "sublime" comes to mind. Also "purity" and "permanence". I find this very inspiring, love the solitude of the elephant and those magic surroundings, such a lovely story told in one single image. Wonderful composition too. Steve's RP is spot on in terms of colours. I would love to see an RP from you, starting from the RAW and finding the correct WB.

Really jealous of this, I think I must go to Mana next year. Many thanks for sharing, Douglas, a pleasure to view

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the small in the frame elephant framed by the tree. It's a very nice environmental shot.