Thread: Leopard in tree

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Leopard in tree

Attached Images Attached Images

Glenn P's recent post reminded me of a similar encounter in SA with Rachel.

Here I ramped up the SS to obtain the 'leap', however if memory serves me right, this Leopard then fell backwards shortly after this!!! I now rarely use CPL filters or 'drop in' ones for the larger lenses, the later attracting dust & dirt into the lens, but here it worked nicely to pullout more BKG.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Leopard (Panthera pardus) in tree
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
    Lens: 70-200f/2.8 MKII HH with CPL
    Exposure: 1/3200s at f/5.6 ISO800
    Original format: Portrait, slight crop from the top, FF width
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve - I got a good chuckle from this one. Marula did in fact fall backwards because she was in the early stages of pregnancy and not used to her altered center of gravity. This looks good with nice colors and detail.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You guys both have me smiling this must have been wonderful to see, poor lass, can't help but smile cheers for the back story.

Steve I really like the gnarly remnants of the branch that gives Marula's front feet support to really adds for me and isn't distracting,just extra interest for the eye while perusing the frame. apart from one thing and that is the leaves/branches bottom right,it's the usual superbly executed processing and detail that i've come to expect from you mate. Steve voicing an unsure opinion here on the bottom right. The sky is so clean with that thin veil of cloud in the lower reaches,which adds depth for me,but my eye is being drawn to that corner. One of personal opinion I guess ,but worth mentioning.

Stunning as always,do you ever have a bad day mate

Cheers for posting and much more always a joy to try and critique your work Steve makes the old grey cells clunk a bit but always enlightening

take care

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the leopard and the tree blue sky is nice as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marula did in fact fall backwards because she was in the early stages of pregnancy and not used to her altered center of gravity.
    You have a better memory than mine Rachel, although in her state she really should not have been climbing trees, more chilling and taking it easy.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Stu, but don't work too hard on a massive critique (but always nice when you have the time), just say what you like, or not like and any relevant questions you may have with regard the image which may help you too.

Steve voicing an unsure opinion here on the bottom right. The sky is so clean with that thin veil of cloud in the lower reaches,which adds depth for me,but my eye is being drawn to that corner. One of personal opinion I guess ,but worth mentioning.
    Stu, if you get the exposure right and capture as much info as possible i.e. ETTR then if the information is there then you can extract or tease it out. With the Polariser it helped, but I pulled the blue back as it really does push the sky too much IMHO and goes back to the days of Velvia transparency, a fantastic transparency that really gave everything a real depth, punch and richness - halcyon days...

7. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, a nice shot of the leopard in the V of the tree with good colours and details as usual. TFS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice capture - and the sky is excellent. I'd never have thought of using a polariser in this situation but it makes sense. Your shadows look good too even though the light was fairly directional here - in fact, the leopard's head shadow adds a nice touch.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

I cannot imagine a better "situation" than a leopard in the "V" of a tree, perfect framing Sir

Well exposed and some mean techs - I gather if Marula jumped forward you were well prepared...Wish I was there to see her tumble backwards though:)

Very special sighting well captured and I like everything about this. Awesome pose from the subject and the colours are great, agree with Glenn the shadow a nice touch indeed.

I am about to send you a little video of a leopard, hope you are not asleep yet

Thank you for sharing, always a pleasure to view your images,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela and no, I'm not asleep - yet !!!!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sent it. I am off to the feathers now, hope to dream of leopards in trees
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Loved this one , i always find leopard's on tree more fascinating and against the sky like in this case works even better. Nicely composed with good IQ like always . TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ....besides the fact that this is a clear view shot of a leopard in the tree ....i love the overall brightness and clarity in tone and colors !!!! Top notch Steve
    That perch works well , giving the Leopard a nice framing ....Love the blue sky .
    The rest is as your usual high standard ....works all very well .

TFS Andreas