Thread: 3 of a kind

Roman Kurywczak

Default 3 of a kind

Attached Images Attached Images

Been having some fun with DG flight the last couple of days. Working on the theme of legs out but also trying to get the wings sharper. Have been improving the keeper rate every attempt. Taken at a local park laying down on the ground with the Mark 3 and the 100-400mm lens @285mm and a 20mm extension tube mounted on a studioball head and home made ground pod at ISO 1600 at f8 and 1/4000 sec. Noise Ninja applied in PP. Cropped a bit from top.....& some off the bottom.
    Next step.........ISO 3200.........or even 6400. I feel the need for speed!
    As always comments welcomed and appreciated.
    PS Manual Flash at 1/4 power
    Last edited by Roman Kurywczak; 06-20-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: forgot flash info

Tim Vidrine

Roman, I'm not really experienced enough to critique the image, but I do understand the degree of difficulty to get this image. Great job on getting the common whitetail in flight in the same frame with the blue dasher and some damsel.

Mike Moats

Hey Roman, your doing a good job with these tough to shoot D-flys

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You're running hot now Roman!!
    Even managed a resting damselfly under the perch as a bonus this time :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely well-freezed action there. Pardon my ignorance but out of academic interest, I wish to know if flash would be of any use when shooting at 1/4000 shutter speed (as in this case) while the sync speed would typically be much lower...?
    Last edited by Kaushik Balakumar; 06-22-2008 at 03:16 AM.

Robert O'Toole

Cool whitetail pose in flight. Nice and sharp.

Not really a big fan of broken off stick perches but i like the 3 for 1 idea :)

Robert

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Robert,
    I had nothing to do with the perch. Natural. There's a ton of them along the pond edge. But you have given me an idea................

Robert O'Toole

Yeah I know what you mean Roman, the second hardest thing in FL is finding a nice perch, the hardest thing is getting them to land on a nice one, they seem to prefer old broken off dried up sticks!
    You can always carry a few good perchs sround and wait for the right moment like people do with BOAS.

Robert

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roman you're setting the bar pretty high for we DF in-flight newbies. The 3 for 1 is great but the perch (other comments noted) doesn't do much more me.