Thread: Whitetail Buck in velvet

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Whitetail Buck in velvet

Attached Images Attached Images

Vertical portrait of a whitetail buck in the late evening. This buck is on a pretty steep hill i am shooting up at him. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Hand held, full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    516mm
    ISO 3200
    f6.3
    1/160sec

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, interesting you say shooting up hill as it does not have that POV, but it works, although I'm not a lover of the rear being more of the focal point here .

At 1/160 I'm not sure how sharp the RAW is, as the posting doesn't look pin sharp. I see you are pushing the ISO, but are there times where you can get better light to increase the SS? Again the greens look very vibrant and the framing I feel is again looking a tad top heavy. As presented I would loose the diagonal 'leafy' vegetation and just crop so you have the grass, almost 1.75-2 inches. Is this FF or cropped, always good to add in the intro.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John these hill and pov where you make these images really perplex me,that's not hard John but they do. Any way as with Steve the frame works for me I like the open mouth and the head turn but the rear being a bit uphill of the front does draw me away from his face.leastways I feel it's that. wonderful field craft again John I'm really hoping you have great luck when they rut,which I presume they do?

I've read Steve's comments on the crop and feel I agree,could this go to 5:4 John again taking off the top ?

TFS

Stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - Steve has covered the critique well on both techs and pp. Awkward poses can be difficult to frame. It does look like you were even with the buck or just slightly below it. Perhaps the distance between you lessened the effect.

TFS,
    Rachel